Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-25-2013, 02:28 PM   #11 
TiffanyP

Well, good and bad news haha I went to Petco to grab a heater for Gaston's tank, the 25W one just isn't cutting it. It's set on 89 (the highest it'll go) and the temp is only about 76, I'd ideally like it 79 or 80. So I grabbed a 50W at Petco, and of course had to walk by the betta display on myway. Shucks ;) And both fortunately and unfortunately the red/white butterfly wasn't there. I was kind of hoping he would be but at the same time hoping he wasn't lol so I'm both relieved and disappointed. I'm hoping to get Gaston back in his 5 gallon today since I wasn't able to yesterday with the lower water temp; I'm giving the heater an hour or two to heat the tank up to 80, longer if needed. Then I think I'm going to put the 25W in the 2 gallon with Fiyero and see if it will hold the temperature a bit more steady than the 10W that's in there now. It's usually 84-86 in there, which isn't too bad for a baby, but I'd like it to sit at a steady 82. And that's the exciting happenings in my life today - getting some temperatures stabilized haha What a thrilling life I lead!
TiffanyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:36 PM   #12 
Rosencrantz32

lol I know how that goes.
Such is the life of a fishie mommy, huh?
Rosencrantz32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:43 PM   #13 
TiffanyP

But happily and gladly so :) I love my boys! They might be fish, but they're so much fun to have around!
Old 08-26-2013, 08:39 PM   #14 
TiffanyP

Well - one step forward, two steps back, right?

I got the heater for Gaston's tank replaced and it's a nice toasty 79/80 in there, so after checking the water and doing a partial change just to be safe, after reacclimating him, I put him back in about 3 and a half hours ago. And he's pulling the same thing he did after I first got him... He swam around and seemed pretty happy re-discovering his home. I went downstairs to cook supper around 6 and got back upstairs around 745ish. About 8 I noticed he wasn't swimming around, so I figured he was probably resting - all fish do that. But he's laying at the bottom, kind of clamped, and just not looking his normal self. I'm pretty sure it's not the fin rot as it's cleared up quite a bit and it wasn't bothering him at all in the 'hospital' tank. I just don't think he likes moving places much - it stresses him out too much. So I'm going to keep it dim in his tank and hope he perks up soon like he has before - I don't like seeing him like this :(

The other boys are doing great though. Fiyero is growing so much! His fins are getting longer and he's getting some good color to him. I think he'll probably end up being blue but we'll see with time. Pascal is doing awesome. He's a very laid-back fish - he doesn't swim around as much as the others do, but I don't think it's due to any underlying health problem, he's just simply laid back. He comes to the front of the tank when I walk by and makes the rounds in his tank every so often - he'll swim around the boarder up top, then down around the bottom too, making sure he swims through his cave at least once, before going back to his favorite leaf to rest his fins on. Alaric is... just simply Alaric :) His color is SO pretty right now and I hope it stays that way - very metallic and awesome. I'm still unsure of what tail type he'll be, but it really doesn't matter much to me in the end.

I'm going to go check on Gaston and check the water prams again just to be on the safe side. I'll update more later!
Old 08-27-2013, 09:22 AM   #15 
TiffanyP

I woke up this morning and as soon as I was conscious enough to remember about Gaston I rushed over to check on him - he saw me poke my head around the cover (the tank gets really warm if it's covered all the way, so I only covered half of it) and swam right up to me like he normally does. He was searching around for breakfast so I fed him and he chowed down on it (probably because he didn't eat last night) and swam around a bit more before going back to the bottom of the tank for a nap. He's still a bit clamped, which should loosen up through the day as I plan on keeping his tank pretty dim and the area around him relatively quiet.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to get rid of the tank that he was in. Both times I put him in there he 'broke' and for apparently no reason. Come Friday (payday) I'm going to get a new aquarium and get that set up for him. I'm debating if I should try and cycle it before I put him in there this time, but I hate keeping him in this little 1 gallon for so long. I guess we'll figure that out in time :)
Old 08-27-2013, 02:43 PM   #16 
TiffanyP

Not too much change in the poor guy... He'll swim up to the top to get air every so often, and then make a lap around the tank before settling down on the bottom again. He isn't struggling to swim, he's not breathing heavy, there's absolutely nothing different about his appearance he's just... 'broke'. I'm keeping my room dim and keeping noise and activity to a minimum... trying to distract myself lol I'm worried about the poor little guy even though I know he'll pop out of it in a day or so.

Here's a picture of him from just now...
Old 08-27-2013, 03:26 PM   #17 
Rosencrantz32

Awww I'm so sorry. I hope he pulls out of it soon!
Rosencrantz32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:32 PM   #18 
TiffanyP

Thanks Rosencrantz, I do too :)
Old 08-28-2013, 11:37 AM   #19 
TiffanyP

Huzzah! Gaston seems to be much more like himself this morning :) I woke up and snuck over to the side of the tank that wasn't covered up and he was already awake swimming around happily and looking for breakfast (which he ate with gusto). Ever since he's just been swimming around and acting pretty much back to normal. His fins are still a tiny bit clamped but nothing compared to the past couple of days. He'll be back to 100% by bedtime tonight I'm sure :)

Look at the difference between yesterday's pic and today's:
Old 08-28-2013, 12:14 PM   #20 
BettaLover1313

Glad to hear he's doing better!
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote