Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-03-2013, 02:14 PM   #31 
TiffanyP

My mom gave me a most dangerous task today...

Find her a betta! EEP! :D

I get to go betta shopping and not feel one bit guilty about it! My parents live about an hour away from any large pet store - the only place that sells betta near them is Walmart :/ I told her unless one is absolutely screaming at you to bring him home, I'll get her a healthier one from Petco and bring it to her this weekend. And she said that was fine! Huzzah! There's one guy I've had my eye on for a while - I hope she likes him (assuming he's still there). If not I'll find another suitable guy for her :) I'm so excited!

In other news, I've found out that three of my boys are jumpers! I went to feed Gaston last night and I hadn't even gotten a piece of food out for him and he jumped up and tried to nip my hand lol He's done that before, but only when I've had the food in my hand already. I didn't think Pascal would be a jumper because of his large fins, but by golly last night he jumped out of the water to try and get the food too! AND Darryl is also a jumper - I've seen him jump twice, though there's nowhere he can go as he's in a 3 gallon critter keeper with the lid lol

Back to my mom's fish... Kind of talking to myself a bit too so forgive me if I'm rambling. I think I'm going to get her a 3 gal critter keeper as well, it's the perfect size. Definitely will have to get her a heater as well as the house gets very cold during the winter. Will start out with a 10W, but will buy her an adjustable 25W before winter hits hard. I'll ask her opinion on decor and rock colors. I have an extra bottle of water conditioner I can give her, as I've switched over to Stress Coat+ (doesn't leave a residue on the inside of the tank like the BettaSafe does). Will grab her a thermometer as well... And if he'll eat the NLS betta pellets (that my boys refuse) she can have those as well. Probably not going to bother with a filter - having to test the water will overwhelm her. I think that's all - did I forget anything? I'm so excited! :D
TiffanyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:28 PM   #32 
Rosencrantz32

That's terribly exciting!! I'm excited for you!!! I got permission from my fiance to go back to Petco today to get the double tail girl I had seen last Thursday. Nothing better than having permission to go and buy a fish ^.^

Let see: Tank, heater, water conditioner, food and decor. Sounds like you hit everything! :D
I hope it goes well!!! Have fun!
Rosencrantz32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:39 PM   #33 
TiffanyP

So... I went and got mom's betta today :D

He's not the prettiest little guy, but with a bit of TLC I know he'll be pretty darn cute. He's kind of a dull sandy yellow right now, but I'm hoping he colors up nicely with warm clean water. Poor guy was in less than an inch of dirty water :( The Petco here usually takes much better care of their water, I was very disappointed. I had my mom on the phone the whole time, and sent her some pictures on FB and chatted with her. She liked a lot of them, but she said to go ahead and get the one who 'needed me most'; said I could nurse him back to health and then give him to her :) So I cleared out some space on my bathroom counter for him and he's settled in nicely there. He's in a temporary 1.75 gal home til I can get him to my mom's. She's looking around for a tank to put him in and I said no less than 2 gallons, preferably 3 or larger! I was going to get her a 3 gal critter keeper, like the one that Darryl is in, but they didn't have any out on the shelf today. Anyway, I acclimated him pretty slowly since he had so little water in his cup, probably over the course of an hour. I put him in the tank and he seems to be just fine. He was swimming around and checking out his cave, didn't appear to be 'breathing' heavy or anything, so I hope he settles in nicely and will be a good fish for my mom. If not, and she's not happy with him, I'll unwillingly give her one of my other ones :( though idk which one! I can't part with any of them! Maybe someone would be willing to rehome him if she doesn't like him... anywho, we'll come to that when we come to it :)

I'm gonna go check on him and make sure that he's still settling in nicely. I'll update y'all on him tomorrow and maybe take a couple of pictures if he's feeling okay and isn't stressed still :)
Old 09-04-2013, 10:49 PM   #34 
Rosencrantz32

Awww, I bet he's super happy to be with you right now! Lucky little guy :) I can't wait to see what he looks like!
Old 09-05-2013, 12:18 AM   #35 
TiffanyP

I hope he's happy to be out of that cup, I'm glad I got him, as I was getting him acclimated to the water he was just kind of hovering in his cup watching me - not scared, just watching. I think he'll be a real sweet little guy once he's feeling better :)
Old 09-05-2013, 12:47 PM   #36 
TiffanyP

Well we made it through night one, though I knew he'd do great. The temperature dropped a bit last night so his tank was 72 this morning when I checked on him, so I definitely need to invest in a better heater. I ordered 2 online this morning, one for him/my mom and one for me. Anyway, I got around to taking a few pictures of the lil guy. The first one is him in his cup at Petco in less than an inch of dirty water :( The rest are from just a few minutes ago. He ate a pellet for me! Or at least was munching on it and hadn't spit it out yet, so I'll offer him another one a bit later, don't want to push things too fast :)
Attached Images

Old 09-05-2013, 12:49 PM   #37 
Rosencrantz32

Aww what a cutie!! He's looking good! ^.^
Old 09-05-2013, 12:52 PM   #38 
TiffanyP

I agree -he's looking much better now that he has fresh water. I'm wondering if he might have a tiny bit of ammonia poisoning as his gills are a bit pinkish, but I'm not sure if it's just the fleshy part of his muscle coloring or not. I think he'll color up a bit and be a nice lighty sandy yellow :)
Old 09-05-2013, 06:26 PM   #39 
BettaLover1313

He's very cute! Can't wait to see where his color will settle at!
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:37 PM   #40 
TiffanyP

Well, the little guy has been pretty laid back most of the day. The way his dorsal fin is laying, all kind of hunched, and his big dark eyes, reminds me of a dog who's had a rough time and just needs some love :( Poor guy. He ate 3 pellets for me tonight though, so he's on the mend at least :) I'm keeping him in my bathroom right now since it's the only place with no air vent, and with the lights on it keeps it pretty warm in there - which is good, since his heater isn't working the best. His tank has risen from 72 to 77-78, and I'm hoping to keep it there. His fins don't look like they have rot, they're just 'smudged' and unhealthy from bad water conditions and the haircut he gave himself before I got him. All in all, I think he'll make a fine recovery :)

Lets see - the other boys. I switched 2 of their tanks around, so now Fiyero is sitting on the night stand by my bed. I like having him there, as it's where I had Alaric when he was just a wee little midget, too. Pascal is just being his awesome gorgeous self. I got an awesome picture of him yesterday that I'll post lol I swear he poses for the camera on purpose! I'm trying Gaston out in his new 2.5 gallon tank... I hope he likes it in there, I felt so bad about keeping him in that 1 gallon. So far he's darting around and checking everything out :) Alaric is still... Alaric. He hasn't pooped in a few days though so I'm waiting til he poops and gets his belly smaller to feed him again. And Darryl, oh my Darryl lol He's such a spunky little fish! He knows what the food container is for now so he swims up to the food opening when its time to eat. That fish just cracks me up :) They all do!
Attached Images