Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-07-2013, 01:44 PM   #41 
dramaqueen
Banned

Your mom's betta is going go be gorgeous with some tlc.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:26 PM   #42 
TiffanyP

I think so too dramaqueen :)

I had to make an emergency trip home to my parent's last night - my aunt was deathly ill in the hospital so they were suggesting to the family if they wanted to see her before she went to come then. So I quick measured out 2 meals a piece for my fishies, packed a quick bag, and dashed an hour and a half home. We were all expecting her to pass in the night - but she did a complete 180 and seems to be in the clear for the time being. She's dependent on a bipap machine so we'll see if they can wean her off of that with no issues as she can't be on it 24/7. A miracle if I ever did see one.

Anyway, so my boss is feeding my fish for me. And I haven't seen them in 24 hours and I'm having fish anxiety haha I'm headed back there in about a half hour though, so hopefully my boys aren't too mad at me and their water temps are okay and everything. Mom didn't want me to bring her fish to her just yet with everything going on with my aunt, so I have a 6th fish temporarily :) Not that I mind at all!
TiffanyP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:12 PM   #43 
TiffanyP

Well - I knew it would happen sometime, but I was hoping not for many many months. One of my boys died while I was gone :( Gaston. He wasn't happy when I left, but I figured it was his whole issue with changing tanks and he'd be perked up by the time I got home... Not so. He wasn't bloated or anything, his color had faded, but no different marks or fungus or anything. Just... dead. :( I'm gonna miss that cantankerous fish :(

I'll get the tank he was in cleaned out real good and maybe see about getting another betta for myself here in a few days. Probably another veiltail if I can find one that I fancy. Maybe I'll go for a female this time, or one of the other tail types they have at Petco. We'll just have to see, gotta get used to him being gone first :(
Old 09-07-2013, 09:17 PM   #44 
BettaLover1313

I'm very sorry to hear about Gaston's passing. S.I.P.
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 02:12 PM   #45 
Rosencrantz32

Oh I'm so sorry. It's so hard losing a fish :(
Rosencrantz32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:53 PM   #46 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm sorry about Gaston. I'm glad your aunt is doing better.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:08 PM   #47 
TiffanyP

Thanks guys! I always hear people say "It was *just* a fish." Yeah? Well it was *my* fish... jerks lol Still mega bummed that he's not here anymore - but I'm moving on. I've decided I'm going to wait til I get the new heater I ordered in the mail before I get another fish. I have two $5 off coupons to Petco so basically whichever fish calls out to me is mine, and I won't have to worry about price being an issue :)

Pascal has finally figured out what his leaf bed is for and I think he's really enjoying it :) His fins are so big so it must feel nice to rest them on something. Fiyero is just growing like a weed. I swear he doubled in size overnight. His fins are coming in so nicely and he can now eat a whole blood worm without me cutting it into pieces! Darryl is just as spunky as ever, always patrolling his tank and 'stretching his fins'. He's such a pretty fish! Mom's fish, who I've started calling Clark Gable lol, is doing well. He seems to be pretty laid-back thus far. He'll swim up to the front of the tank when I walk into the bathroom now, and he watches me when I talk to him. His color has definitely darkened up some, but I think he'll probably stay the color he is right now. He's eating well - LOVED the blood worm I gave him last night, and eats Omega One pellets like a champ. And lastly Alaric. He's been abnormally laid back and kind of clampy today. I'm not sure what the deal is. His temp is 79, water prams are good - the ammonia is almost .25 ppm but not quite, he's scheduled to get a 50% water change tomorrow so I don't think that's the problem... Just not sure what's going. He's not swollen or bloated, no weird spots - except for a hair, and yes I'm sure it's a hair as it's one of mine, stuck to his side - probably got in the water when I changed it the other day lol Maybe he's just going through a growth spurt and is using all his energy for that *shrug* Won't worry about it until I need to :) He's eating fine and still swims up to me and follows my finger when I'm by the tank.

That's all for now, thanks for checking in :)
Old 09-12-2013, 10:15 AM   #48 
TiffanyP

I should be getting my new heaters in today! Woot woot! That means I'll give the things that were in Gaston's tank a final rinse in hot hot water and get the tank set up again - and if all goes well, I'll go grab a new fish tomorrow. I'm ready now - it just feels empty over where the tank used to be sitting, so it'll be nice to have another guy/gal around :)

Clark Gable somehow managed to tear his dorsal fin, the silly fish. It's healing up nicely though, so I'll keep an eye on it to see if I can figure out what he snagged it on. All the other boys are doing well - though 3 of them badly need to have a BM, it's been a few days. They won't be happy when I don't feed them supper tonight if they haven't pooped by then, or in the baby's case -when I don't feed him lunch lol he gets 3 meals a day yet.

So I have:
A white double tail male
A blue/green/red veiltail teenage male
A multi-color delta tail male
And a blue double tale male baby

What should my next fish be? :) Any thoughts?

Also - I've seen dalmation patterns in orange or red... is it possible to have one in turquoise?

Last edited by TiffanyP; 09-12-2013 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Added quesiton
Old 09-12-2013, 12:30 PM   #49 
Rosencrantz32

I'm sure it is possible to have a turquoise dalmatian, although I don't think I've ever seen one in a store... only on AquaBid lol

Hmmm... I think you should go for a crowntail or a plakat since you don't have one yet. I think its fun watching my crowntail swim because it looks like he has streamers attached to him lol! And plakats are neat because they can zoom around all quick since they're not weighed down with excess finnage :)

But, above all else, you should get the fish that calls to you. There's nothing better than getting a fish that picked you vs. the other way around. Of my three boys, only one picked me, and I've always felt he likes me way more than the other two >.>

I'm super excited for you (again)! I can't wait to see who you come home with! ^.^

And for your other boys, have you tried giving them daphnia? That's supposed to help with constipation.
Rosencrantz32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:40 PM   #50 
TiffanyP

I've looked around for daphnia, but I can't find any around here. I thought about ordering some online, but I'm not sure how that works seeing as it's frozen?

Anyway - I asked about a turquoise dalmation because I'm pretty sure that's what Darryl is. I can't figure out any other way to describe his coloring lol This is a picture of Darryl that I took a couple of days ago:

He's white, but if the light shines on him right, he's an iridescent minty green. Maybe he's a marble as he's gaining some new spots that weren't there before? I have no idea, I just know he's a unique fish and was an absolute score from Petco :D

I've been tossing around the idea of a plakat... I've fallen in love with a couple of guys from aquabid, seen here:
1. http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...hmp&1379421532
2. http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...hmp&1379421365

But I won't be able to get either of those, as much as I'd like to :( Too expensive with shipping and all. But I agree - I try to pick the fish that chooses me, and not the other way around :) All 5 of mine chose me, and even my mom's fish Mr. Gable did too. I can't wait to go look around and see what they have!