Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-12-2013, 02:06 AM   #81 
Emrae

Sorry about Fiyero. He was a beautiful little guy. I'm sure that he lived a very happy life with you though.

I have a very uneducated guess since I know nothing about the circulatory system of fish, but my theory is that it could be a fishy version of lividity. If you don't know, for humans it's when the blood stops flowing and settles after death. Like if someone dies lying on their back, their back will have a blue/purple color from the blood gathering there; but their face, stomach area, ect will loose color as the blood moves away and settles. I don't know if it would happen like that in a fish, but it was the first thing that came to mind. Hope that wasn't too gross of a description.
Emrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:46 AM   #82 
TiffanyP

No, not too gross at all - I'm a nurse so it really takes a lot to make me squeamish :) I have no idea what it was - but in case it was something bacterial I'm washing all of the things in his tank under scalding hot water many many *many* times before they will be considered for use in another tank.

My new guy has settled in pretty well. And he's even got a tentative name: Gilligan. He's in Fiyero's old 2 gallon hex tank (really tall, not so much wide) so I'm hoping to get him into a bigger, wider, tank here soon. I've been contemplating how I'm going to do that though.

I can give him his own 5 gallon tank, and let Icarus grow in the 2.5 gallon.
Or I can move Pascal's 5 gallon, leaving the dresser open to put a 10 gallon and split that between 2 boys.

I've never had a split tank before though so I'm not sure how I really feel about that. And then I would have to decide who I put in the split tank!

Would I split it between Gilligan and Icarus?
Or Gilligan and Darryl?

Darryl seems pretty happy in his 3 gallon tank, so I'd probably split it between Icarus and Gilligan. *BUT* I still haven't decided if Icarus is growing ovaries or not haha There's a tiny little triangle behind his stomach, not like other ovaries I've seen, but maybe they're still growing yet? Time will tell :)

Anyway, if Icarus ends up being a girl after all, then I'll split the tank between Gilligan and Darryl and put Icarus in Darryl's old 3 gallon! I think I'm going to wait for 2 weeks to give Gilligan his quarantine time to decide. That way if Icarus ends up being a girl I should be able to know in 2 weeks and can decide how to split them then.

Okay, thanks for bearing with me as I rambled that out to myself haha And now I'm off to see the wizard and save the world and all of the other awesome things I do on a daily basis ;) Hope you all have a great and relaxing weekend!
TiffanyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 12:23 PM   #83 
Quinn

Sorry about Fiyero passing, it stinks when you don't know the reason behind what went wrong. I hope cutie little Icarus continues to grow and do well! And congrats on newbie
Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 12:34 PM   #84 
TiffanyP

Thanks Quinn. I'm sure it stemmed from constipation, but i just don't know :( I'm going to have a heck of a time NOT getting another double tail baby if I see one again lol
Old 10-12-2013, 10:37 PM   #85 
TiffanyP

I went and bought some API General Cure for Alaric today - hoping that whatever it is that's wrong with him will be kicked with this (he's acting fine, but his belly is always a little bloated, even after he poops - which is rare. And I'm beginning to wonder if the fuzzy stuff on him isn't white stringy poop indicative of parasites. So as long as he tolerates it fine, he'll get a course of the meds as salt water didn't do anything) I'm also going to completely clean out his tank since all the water prams are still reading at 0 (thanks to a cheap filter I started out with). I figure I'll get it all cleaned out (to hopefully get any parasite eggs out and just to clean it out in general) while he's not in there and then get some kick-starter cycle stuff to get the process going.

I also ordered a new heater for him, a Cobalt Aquatics 50W Neo-Therm. I was okay with his other one but it had some REALLY nasty stuff on it and it stank to high heaven. I tried scrubbing it off but that didn't work either so I just said "screw it". There wasn't any way I was putting it back in with him. It was a Petco brand adjustable heater... It worked okay but over-all I wouldn't recommend it to anyone - spend the extra couple of bucks and get the Aqueon brand one.

Once the new heater gets here (hopefully by Friday) I'll get his filter set back up and put in some API Quick Start and wait a few days for it to get stabilized. Does anyone have any tips for that? It says it's safe to add fish right away, but should I wait a few days? A week? Any suggestions in regards to that would be awesome :)

Well, I think my block of frozen bloodworms is finally thawed out so it's time for the boys' supper as they've been fasting since last night. TTFN :)
Old 10-13-2013, 08:36 PM   #86 
TiffanyP

Guys. We really need to come up with a legit BAA haha Betta Addicts Anonymous. Why?

Because... well, hi. My name is Tiffany. And I went from 5 bettas to 8 in three days.

I went and bought 2 more tonight, but with a coupon, they cost me a whopping one dollar for the both of them. I've decided I'm going to split two of my 5 gallon tanks - the babies in one, and Gilligan and Alaric in the other. The babies will get the new 50W heater I bought since it is very consistent and will keep the temp more regular for them, and I'll probably end up buying another new 50W heater for the other boys. I hope I'm not the only one who feels like this with new fish haha but I feel both guilty AND super happy at the same time. Someone make me feel better and tell me I'm not alone in this haha :)

Here they are!

This one isn't much bigger than Alaric is, probably just a bit older :) His body is blue and his fins are orange.

And this is my new baby! He's bigger than Icarus but smaller than Fiyero was. His body is really really long - I'm excited to see how he turns out :)
Old 10-14-2013, 10:41 AM   #87 
TiffanyP

Good morning from Casa de la Fish! haha

Both of the new boys made it through the night, I was kind of worried about the bigger one - he's SO skinny and emaciated. He ate 3 pellets for me before bed last night and then another 3 this morning so I think he'll be okay :)

The baby has perked up and is acting just like my other babies :) He's for the most part unclamped and I can see that he has at least 4 rays! More may show up as he grows :) Woot!

I badly want to get a tank set up to put the new bigger fish in (I really need to name them haha) but today I have to focus on my job though and do some cleaning and get the house in order after having two extra kids here for the weekend. Hopefully on Wednesday I can get one set up so I can get back to 6 tanks :) I'm still going to keep the new boys in quarantine for 2 weeks, but if I can put the bigger one in one side of a split 5 gallon, it's better than the 1.75 gal half filled container he's in right now :) And that eliminates one tank!

Thanks again for listening to me ramble on - I still don't know anyone here where I live (except for the lovely people at PetCo haha) and my FB friends get tired of my endless fish stories. So I turn here to get everything out of my system :)
Old 10-14-2013, 11:15 PM   #88 
TiffanyP

Picture time! I did some playing around today and got my new baby fish out of that .75 gallon tank. I'm sure he would have been fine in there for another couple of days, but *I* wasn't fine with him being in there lol Since Alaric is in the hospital tank, I scrubbed out his 5 gallon real well with hot water and then rinsed it a few times in hot water too, before setting to work on making a DIY divider. I used extra firm plastic canvas I found at Hobby Lobby and 2 report binder thingies. Worked perfectly! I just had to trim everything down to size, added the rocks in and the decorations, and voila! Perfect tank for two babies, I think. Here's the finished product!

I also named one of the new boys today, the baby - his name is Yoshi! He's completely unclamped today and happily swimming around his new home. He's going to be fun to watch grow! I was chatting on the Petco Baby thread and lilnaugrim thinks he'll probably be a plakat, possibly halfmoon too! And I'm pretty sure he'll be dragonscaled :D Here's a couple of pictures I took of him!

I love this one :D

And I took a couple of pictures of the other new fish :) He doesn't have a name yet, he's being stubborn about it. The first picture is with flash and really shows the true color of him - his body is blue and his fins are orange :)

Lets see... Gilligan has settled in nicely and is doing well. I have totally fallen in love with his little face. I'm seeing if the ends of his fins have rot on them or if they're a bit translucent because it's regrowth. I'm keeping a close eye on them and will do some salt water if necessary :)

Icarus is just a growing :) I've been doing daily pictures on my Photobucket, though I'm behind a few days on uploading them. He looks to be a bit more yellow-y tinted in the body area and his tail fin still is getting some red color to it. I haven't decided if he has ovaries or not either yet lol

Alaric is still in the hospital tank getting some API General Cure. It seems to be helping! I don't see fuzzies on him anymore :) He hasn't pooped though, which doesn't surprise me much, but I'm hoping that if he had parasites that the meds will kick them and he'll start pooping more regularly :) His abdomen doesn't look as puffy as it did when he went in so I'm taking that as a good sign.

Alistair is thriving in his 5 gallon home. Ever since I put some sponge in the intake part of the filter of his Minibow 5 he's just been loving it. I also think he likes having less activity since he's in the bathroom. He's always been a skittish fish, so being alone in a room with less activity than my bedroom really helps him.

Darryl is just Darryl lol nothing new to report about him :) He's taken to sleeping under his filter though, which cracks me up. I'll have to see if I can sneak a picture of it sometime.

Pascal is doing well, my big bug eyed boy :) His tail fin is still healing from when I tried the sponge filter out in his tank, but it's looking good. No signs of rot and the shredding isn't getting worse. :)

That's the latest on my boys!
Old 10-17-2013, 01:30 PM   #89 
TiffanyP

Wow - guys! I'm 2 views away from having 1,000 views on my journal! That's crazy to me! I never thought a journal about my motley crew of bettas and ramblings would ever get 1,000 views but sure enough - I'm going to hit it!

There isn't much to update on today from Casa de la Fish. All of the boys are doing so awesome :) Alaric finished his meds and I'm hoping it helped. I'm keeping him in the hospital tank for another few days until Stinson's QT period is over, then I'm going to split a tank between him and Alaric I believe. Potentially between Stinson and Gilligan but then I'm not sure where I'd put Alaric. Stinson looks like he's finally gaining some weight :) The babies Icarus and Yoshi are doing awesome in their new tank - I got the new heater in the mail and put it in there. I'm a bit disappointed as it's about 3 degrees off - which is not up to Cobalt Aquatics standards. The 50W is rated up to 12 gallons too, so I'm not sure what the deal is there. I'm probably going to look up the return policy and see if I can get a replacement as I know they have good quality equipment and this isn't the norm.

I think that's all for today :) Thanks to the next 2 viewers to getting me up to 1,000 views!
Old 10-17-2013, 11:50 PM   #90 
dramaqueen
Banned

Casa de la fish. I like it!!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote