Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-24-2009, 10:17 AM   #1 
Angelmonster

Unhappy A Concern...

Not a real emergency and I am not sure if it is really a cause of concren, just a question.

Over the weekend I decided to get a Sorority Tank and yes I am well prepaired if they decide to fight(I have a small 5 gallon tank to shove one in there if it gets too violent). So far within 24 hours no injuries just a little chacing if they get too close together.

So anyway my question is one of the Bettas, actually the biggest one(they all look about 9 weeks old) just floats at the top. She moves around the tank but always stays at the top of the tank. When I fed them this morning it looked like she ate a little but not much. Is this ok? Her floating there, is that a sign of something? All of the others seem to be ok, swimming around and exploring the tank...just not this one. I was considering putting her in a temporary tank alone.

What do you think?
Angelmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 10:21 AM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

If she's floating on her side or having trouble staying upright and can't swim downward, she may have swimbladder disorder. You may want to isolate her and fast her for a few days.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 10:42 AM   #3 
Angelmonster

She isn't on her side, her dorsal fin is bobing at the top of the tank. She is upright she just doesn't swim down from the top fo the tank at all.

so isolate her and just do not feed her for a few days? Is that wise considering I just bought them from the pet store(which I am still unsure if they feed the Betta's there or not >_>).

Thanks!
Old 06-24-2009, 11:32 AM   #4 
Fishin Pole

how large of a tank are they in and what are your water parameters?............Could be ammonia poisoning..........Sounds like the tank is going thru the cycle, depending on size of it
Fishin Pole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 02:01 PM   #5 
Angelmonster

29 Gallon but I got them from Petsmart and they were in that blue liquid petsmart seems to love. I just set this up last night and they are not cycled(I never cycle a tank for Bettas, in my experience they always survive as long as I do 50% cleanings once a week. I will be doing it twice a week since I have so many in one tank). she has been floating at the top since the moment I got her. I am at work right now so I don't know if she is still doing it but she was at 7 this morning.