Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-25-2009, 02:32 AM   #11 
BBgirl

Exclamation

Thank you every one for your comments. Jessie 7 doesn't look too good tonight. He was beautiful and flaring and swimming around when I first put him in the tank but tonight he is sitting on the bottom going up for air and then nose diving back to the bottom. He's not in the same tank as 6 was either. I took him out and put him back in his cup with a little bit of the water that is keeping Rusty doing so well and floated him in Rusty's tank to keep his temp constant. Both tanks are 82 degrees. Neither seemed to care that the other was there. Granted they did have plastic keeping them apart. Finally, they both flared up a little and Rusty jumped which scared me (not out of his tank just away from the flaring Jessie).

I checked the ph and it's high it both tanks i don't have the kit for the other parameters. Both tanks are half treated tap and half r/o water.

I'm concerned Jessie won't make it through the night. Of course I will promptly march him back down to petsmart if he doesn't but like I said he is my favorite of all the bettas we have had. Not to mention I don't want to lose any more of my babies.

Any thoughts?
BBgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 07:59 AM   #12 
dramaqueen
Banned

I was just wondering if you used bleach or some other cleaning stuff or soap in your tanks when each fish has died. Soap, bleach and cleaning stuff will kill fish.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 02:09 PM   #13 
BBgirl

I used very mild bleach as that is what bettatalk told me to do after 6 died but Jessie 7 is in a totally seperate 1 gallon which was cleaned with vinegar and hot water and rinsed again in fresh water several times before his water went in (half treated tap half r/o) conditioner and a small dose of aquarium salt. He perks up a little in Rusty's water.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:13 PM   #14 
neenjar

Try leaving out the r/o water. it removes many trace elements that fish need and you need to fortify the water before use. if r/o is standard fare for you introduce him to it slowly as the store you got him form probably does not have an r/o system. It could just be stress shock form the varied water differences.

I'd put him in only treated tap water for a week, then if you want to introduce the r/o do it in increasing amounts over several water changes so he can adjust.
neenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 02:29 PM   #15 
BBgirl

I've tired only treated tap water and the ph is very high here. I don't have any other way of reducing the ph, I don't have the money for the chemicals that bring it down. but just treated tap water was what I think got Jessie 4 so I've gone from all r/o to half and half. He seems to perk up a little in Rusty's water. Do you think I should water change him with a part of the water from Rusty's tank?
Old 06-25-2009, 02:30 PM   #16 
BBgirl

What I really need is a bigger tank for Jessie and an underwater filter rather than the undergravel one. I just can't afford it right away.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:50 PM   #17 
neenjar

I'm very lucky in that. My tap water is ph7, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 1, but reeks of chlorine. I age it a day and add stress coat, and I end up with perfect tropical fish water. the bogwood in the betta tank lowers the ph to about 6.5 over about 24 hours.
neenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 02:58 PM   #18 
cottoncandygirl

yeah i have heard about the wallmart fishies..
its not that i think u dont love ur fishies but... are u sure u are taking good care of them, u cleaning their water? or that the food is good enough or maybe the water is 2 cold.
anyways im SO sorry of ur betta i hope the new one lives a better and longer life :D
Quote:
live, love, laugh
cottoncandygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 06:20 PM   #19 
BBgirl

The tanks get as warm as 82 or 83 depending on the heat here and 76 when it cools at night. I feed them betta pellets and the occasional baby brine (sun dried). I do change the water in the one gallon twice a week and have only had the 2.65 gallon tank for a week so no water changes yet. Rusty is well and happy so far. He didn't like the water current from the underwater filter at first but he is getting used to it.

I am sure I am taking the best care possible of them and that is because I know a lot more about how to care for them best thanks to all of you and bettatalk.

Jessie 7 has perked up a bit in the last few hours. He may just pull through this. I will likely get him a 2.65g tank next week like Rusty's.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:53 AM   #20 
AngelicScars

If your water temp fluctuates from 76-82 degrees, that's not good. It's needs to be a steady 78-80 degrees F to avoid issues with the Betta.
What conditioner do you use? I use Prime, and I love it. It should level out all the issues in the tap water.
Do you use a light on the tank?
Also, with a 2.65 gallon, I would do a 100% water change once a week.
I hope your new guy pulls through!
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote