Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-26-2009, 08:27 PM   #21 
NetGeek

Sorry to hear about Jessie 6. Hopefully Jessie 7 perks up soon. I am pretty new to Bettas, but I got a lot of good advice from the folks at PetSmart here in Calgary. I use Nutrafin Aqua Plus to treat the water (VERY hard water in Calgary) a little aquarium salt, and a Bacteria Supplement made by TopFin. I was told by everyone that the Bacteria Supplement is very good for fish. Anyone else care to comment on that?
NetGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 01:57 AM   #22 
BBgirl

Jessie did perk up a tiny bit but it didn't last and he did die. I took him back to the store, got my money back and will not be buying a new little guy until I get another 2.65g tank (like Rusty's) and then will have the water tested too. Rusty is still doing very well. I know these wonderful little guys can live in smaller, shallower bowls with no filter etc but mine can't apparently and I won't lose another fish. I am convinced that mine need larger tanks with appropriate underwater filters.

I am changing conditioners as well. Our first Jessie died after I started using AquaSafe in his non-filtered bubble and I didn't have a thermometer to keep an eye on approximate water temps. So that was the first thing I grabbed when buying both tanks.

Anyone know how long my babies can live if the water temp gets to 85? I know ick won't survive it but what about my fishies?
BBgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 02:03 PM   #23 
NetGeek

Sorry to hear about Jessie 7. I am not sure about 85 degrees for water temp, my tank stays between 80 and 82 and Mr. Foosh seems happy about it.
NetGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 03:38 PM   #24 
dramaqueen
Banned

85 does seem a tad warm even though they are tropical fish.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 03:00 AM   #25 
BBgirl

My house is always miserably hot year round so the tank gets up there during the day. I don't know if there is a safe way to cool it down. I crack open the cover of his tank a little and blow cooler evening air over it but that's all I can do. I wouldn't keep it at 85 if I had more choices. I would bet Rusty won't be getting Ick anyway.

This morning his tail is pretty ragged I'm not sure if it's fin rot or swimming under the filter and his tail gets stuck to it for a second or so. Anyway, I started melafix and yes I went low on the dosage for him thanks to the answers here and before that a 100%water change. Poor little guy. But other than that he is still rather active and seems happy.
He didn't like the salt bath but he tolerated a minute or so before he jumped so I got him back in and added tank water and let him sit for 10 and then netted him and put him back in his tank.
BBgirl is offline   Reply With Quote