Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-22-2013, 12:16 AM   #1 
fidget

Tail biting?? And general care questions

Hi guys! I'm new to this forum and owning a betta- thanks in advance for any help.

Housing
What size is your tank? 3g
What temperature is your tank? 77
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? yes
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 1 snail unless he killed it

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? API betta pellets and sometimes frozen blood worms
How often do you feed your betta fish? A little bit twice a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? I’m having issues with that… see below
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 33%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? dechlorinator

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? yes

Ammonia: .25
Nitrite: 1
Nitrate: 20-40
pH: 7.5
Hardness: 30? Gh is at 30, kh 40
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? His fins are tattered.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Hasn’t
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Four days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No, left him alone, giving him some peace and quiet
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Just got him a couple of weeks ago
How old is your fish (approximately)? No idea but he's not very big

Ok, so got Digger a couple of weeks ago and have him in this aquafarm tank thing. There's no filter but an air pump pushes water up through a tube to the top of the tank where there are little pots with plants in them that are supposed to catch the waste. The water flows back in through a hole in the top.
The ammonia levels were getting high so I started doing partial water changes every 2-3 days to try to make the cycling process as easy on my new buddy as possible. I did the changes with him in the tank, which seemed fine at first.
Usually a little waste would kick up, but just a little! and it would be filtered out within five minutes so I wasn't too worried about it. Then the waste really started to build up and he got sick. :( I felt awful.
I cleaned out his tank completely, rinsed everything off with tap water (now I know not to do that) and put him back. His fins were clamped and he was really lethargic for a day. All he would do is sit on his heater.
I couldn't tell if the edges of his fins were black or not because he's dark blue.
He perked back up the third day, I fed him some bloodworms and his fins unclamped.
Trying to do better, I took him out and put him in a mason jar the next time I did a partial water change. The ammonia was >1ppm but less than 2 and I don't know when it's really dangerous for him. I changed out some of the water and let the tank filter for a while, went to work and my boyfriend put him back in the tank about an hour later.
The next day, I noticed his tail was ragged. I checked here and thought it might be tail biting- my boyfriend said that when he went to put him back in the tank, he was curled up like a "C." But I'm not sure that's definitely what it is because he was sick before.
This started about four-five days ago. The second day more of his tail was missing, we kept away from his tank, not wanting to stress him out. More was missing the third day, but not a lot more just one little bit, and a tiny bit more was missing today, but not much. I don't think there's black around the edges of his fins. His behavior is normal.
Help please! I really want to give this guy a good home.
Do you think it's tail biting? I think I may have stressed him out by putting him in that mason jar.
Also, the tank is still cycling and I'm worried about it because his fins are ragged. I stopped the water changes and dosed his water with Amquel two days ago.
I couldn't figure out why the ammonia was never lowering at all after water changes until tonight when I tested my tap water and it came up 1ppm. I was only adding D-klor to the water.
What do I do now? Is it safe to add Amquel to new water? I've read that repeat doses can make the water acidic...
Ugh! I need help plz.
Sorry this is so long. I'm really worried about my fish.

Last edited by fidget; 08-22-2013 at 12:22 AM.
fidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:52 PM   #2 
txbettaowner

your male has fin rot. I see black edges on the shredded parts of his fins. I would use a little AQ salt and if you have API stress coat add some into this tank. Clean and warm water will get his tail to start back on the right track of healing.
txbettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:04 PM   #3 
fidget

Ok thanks! I'm going to buy a smaller tank with no gravel to keep him in until he's better so I can keep the water really really clean for him..
I'll keep him in there until his tank cycles.
I knew I should have listened to my instincts. :(
I'll get the salt and stress coat asap but I'm still not sure what to do about the ammonia in our tap water.
I bought this stuff called Atison's Betta Spa with wild almond leaf extract that says it take the ammonia out of the water but it won't be here until tomorrow.
I have amquel but I don't know how fast it works. What do you think?
Old 08-22-2013, 06:24 PM   #4 
txbettaowner

that is alright. he can wait one more day. you don't need to buy a smaller tank. well what size do you plan on buying as a QT tank?
Old 08-22-2013, 06:32 PM   #5 
fidget

Too late! I ran to the fish store and just got done setting up his temporary home. :)
I wouldn't have done it, but it is a real pain in the butt to change the water in his regular tank.
I bought a 1.5 gallon plastic tank, put his heater and plants in it, aq salt and stress coat. I put a little over 1.4 tsp of the aq salt in- I dissolved it before putting him in the water.
I figured I'd rather spend $6 on a temporary tank than struggle with keeping the water where it should be for him to heal.
Do you think that's ok?

Last edited by fidget; 08-22-2013 at 06:34 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:52 PM   #6 
txbettaowner

yes that is alright for a QT tank. just make sure you do the correct water changes.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:26 PM   #7 
fidget

Hello again!
I've kept Digger in a 1.5 g tank with aq salt since Thursday. Yesterday I could still see some black around the edges of his fins. This is what he looks like today (Sunday).
The edges of his fins have light areas. Do you think this is more fin rot? Growth? I can see it in the light- it looks...opaque..I can't tell if it's white/gray.
Also, I've been doing 100% changes daily, should I keep that up for a while?
Thanks for your help!

Last edited by fidget; 08-25-2013 at 09:32 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:38 AM   #8 
txbettaowner

if it is grey then it most likely is growth which means you are doin the right things.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:41 AM   #9 
txbettaowner

Orange circles indicate growth. A better (clearer) picture would help us to see it better but from what I can see that is growth, a good sign. Great job.
Attached Images

Old 08-26-2013, 03:28 AM   #10 
fidget

Thank you for your help. I will try to get a better picture tomorrow. I'm going to stop the salt but continue to keep him in the small tank and do daily water changes with stress coat until I'm 100% sure he's better.