Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-26-2013, 01:58 AM   #1 
darkangel

Becareful with Frozen foods!!

Just a tip for other members!

Becareful with repeatedly defrosting frozen foods, I know they come in giant cubes and its really hard to get the right amount. its best to just cut the frozen cube into chunks of 10-12 and only defrost 1 piece, you fish may not eat it all but its that the best way IMO.

definitely do not repeatedly defrost them like I did!! it can lead to internal bacteria infections!

Slade has torn his tail and I was feeding him frozen foods everyday so I ended up defrosting the same cube over and over again. well he got sick. like really sick.

he had really strong stress strips, was clamping and I noticed he was swelling (like dropsy). I didn't know what was wrong for a long time, I checked my tank, water was 80F, ammonia/nitrite was 0 and nitrate was 2-3ppm so water quality was good. I searched all over the place and came up with no disease.

He had no other signs so I didn't know what to do so I just decided to treat him with a antibiotic since most diseases are bacterial. when I started treatment, he was beginning to pine cone (I thought he was going to die!) but its been 4 days and the swelling is gone, thank god.

So just a warning! don't repeatedly defrost stuff and throw out old expired foods!
darkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:52 AM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

How often were you freezing/defrosting? I was doing that twice per cube basically since all my boys and girls don't eat the entire cube and if they did...well that'd be a disaster too lol. I wonder if there is a "safe" amount that you can freeze/defrost foods like that.

Sorry about your boy though, I'm glad he's doing better now!!
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote