Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-23-2013, 01:12 PM   #1 
blufish425

Idk whats wrong, please help

Im beginning to get frustrated with having all these sick fish. I try to take really good care of them. My boy is acting crazy, he will madly dash up to the surface, and swim around some, gills moving like crazy the entire time. Sometimes he lounges on the bottom, and sometimes he falls into his plants. No loss of color or anything. What is wrong with him?

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gal
What temperature is your tank? 80*
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? omega one
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3 pellets 2X per day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? 3X per week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 2 about 50% and 1 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite:idk
Nitrate:idk
pH: mine is high, about *
Hardness:idk
Alkalinity: idk

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?none
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? dashes at surface, gills moving rapidly, some lethargy but still moving frequently.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? yesterday
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? no yet
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? bought him a month ago
blufish425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 04:34 PM   #2 
NeptunesMom

Is he rubbing on things? How quickly did this start after your last water change? Can you test your tap water? What is the ammonia level in your tap water without the Prime?
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 04:52 PM   #3 
blufish425

Well I did a 100% change Sunday, he was fine, then Wednesday I did a 50% change and he was fine. Yesterday I saw him swim up to the top, then fall down into his plants and just lay there. I thought he was dead. Then he got back up and I tested the water it was at .2 ppm ammonia so I immediately changed 100% of the water. He was fine when I went to bed but this morning was acting how I described above.

I have 3 other fish all in (conditioned) water from my tap and the others are fine, I have tested their tanks and ammonia is 0. I'm at work and out of test strips but I was going to grab some on the way home.

Also he does not seem to be scratching. There is nothing strange on him, his fins are perfect.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:54 PM   #4 
NeptunesMom

If you can, I would recommend a splurge on the API Liquid Test Kit. It is far more accurate than the strips, and it will cost you less in the long run.

Are his plants live plants? Have you added anything new to the tank? Do you have driftwood in your tank?
Old 08-23-2013, 05:02 PM   #5 
blufish425

Silk plants, nothing new in the tank, no driftwood. Will get the liquid test kit. Should I get a filter?
Old 08-23-2013, 05:05 PM   #6 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by blufish425 View Post
Silk plants, nothing new in the tank, no driftwood. Will get the liquid test kit. Should I get a filter?
If you want one. I only have one tank with a filter, my 20 g community. All my other tanks do not have filters. I'm of the opinion that while filters help with cycling and water changes, they're not necessary if you keep up on water changes. And, it appears you have a fine water change routine.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:56 PM   #7 
blufish425

I bought the master test kit and I think I have identified the problem, my tap water has an ammonia level of .25 ppm, so Im sure the levels rise to very dangerous very quickly in my tanks. Problem is, after adding Prime, which is supposed to get rid of ammonia, the levels are the same. What should I do about this?
Old 08-24-2013, 12:35 AM   #8 
LittleBlueFishlets

Prime temporarily converts ammonia to ammonium.... Ammonia is bad. Ammonium is OK.

The test kits don't differentiate between the two, however. So it will still give you a reading of 0.25 ppm, even though the Prime has converted it to the nontoxic form.

What is the pH of your water? If it's slightly acidic, there will be more ammonium (OK) present. If it's slightly basic, there will be more ammonia (bad) present.

If your water is slightly basic, you can add a source of tannins. Tannins have a slight antimicrobial effect, which may be helpful to your guy. And they make the water slightly more acidic, which will cause ammonia (bad) to convert to ammonium (OK).

I would continue to use Prime and keep up with your water changes. The Prime will keep the water safe for about 48 hours.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:41 AM   #9 
blufish425

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueFishlets View Post
Prime temporarily converts ammonia to ammonium.... Ammonia is bad. Ammonium is OK.

The test kits don't differentiate between the two, however. So it will still give you a reading of 0.25 ppm, even though the Prime has converted it to the nontoxic form.

What is the pH of your water? If it's slightly acidic, there will be more ammonium (OK) present. If it's slightly basic, there will be more ammonia (bad) present.

If your water is slightly basic, you can add a source of tannins. Tannins have a slight antimicrobial effect, which may be helpful to your guy. And they make the water slightly more acidic, which will cause ammonia (bad) to convert to ammonium (OK).

I would continue to use Prime and keep up with your water changes. The Prime will keep the water safe for about 48 hours.
My PH is off the charts of the test kit, I have used test strips before and it is over 8. I have been religiously changing the water, and using Prime the entire time so Im not sure how his ammonia got too high.

When I do a partial water change, should I add a little prime into the existing tank water as well as the new water? Will this help keep the ammonia down?
Old 08-25-2013, 02:03 AM   #10 
blufish425

Update

Today he is darting around wildly, clearly itching against the gravel, breathing heavy. Since I figured out the ammonia situation last night, all signs point to an external parasite, but I don't see anything on him. No ick, possibly velvet? His entire body and the end of his tail are iridescent so he shines very gold under a flashlight but he doesn't look like he has gold granules on him like in the pictures I've seen of velvet. He isn't clamped, but he wont eat. I am treating with quickcure.

Any thoughts or advice on this?