Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-25-2013, 03:20 AM   #1 
PunkinOfSteel

What type of algae is this?

I started using Flourish awhile back because I was told on another forum to stop using API plant food and go for Seachem because it's better. Since then I've had nothing but a bunch of issues and am planning on discontinuing the use of it and going back to API.

I've got a serious case of whatever algae this is and i can't get rid of it. It wont scrub off, bits will but i'm afraid i'll hurt my anubias(s). I'm not worried about it being on decor, i can scrub that off, but it comes back so quickly!

I was dosing about once a week or every other week of Seachem and was using liquid CO2 by API every day to 4 times a week. The light is on 8 hours a day, I use two ultra sun bulbs. The temperature is at a constant 76 degrees F.

I have some green algae as well but i'm not worried about that- it's this reddish hairy looking stuff I don't like.

I have tried using, i think it's by Tetra, Algae Fix, but that didn't do a whole lot- it got rid of alot of the green algae I had, but that was being eaten by a young BN that I have in the tank.

Will other critters eat this stuff? Cherry shrimp or something maybe?

So sorry if these photos are big, I can't resize them for some reason!
Attached Images

PunkinOfSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:12 AM   #2 
PunkinOfSteel

Bump?

Anyone know?
Old 08-28-2013, 07:34 AM   #3 

Might google..."James algae guide".
1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:53 PM   #4 
OrangeAugust

It's hair algae!!! ...Or possibly staghorn algae... I've had a huge problem with hair algae for a few months. It started with single strands, and because I only saw one or two, I didn't know it was algae. But then suddenly, it started growing on my plants and I had a heck of a time getting rid of it (a lot of manual removal, vacuuming, and water changes). But then I was out of town for a week and my friend was house-sitting and I thought it was common sense that you turn off a tank light at night, but she left it on the whole time and I came home and looked at my tank and this was my reaction:
Because the glass was COVERED with it and so were my plants and it was really long and thick and gross. This time it was green because of all the light, but the times before that I had it it was the same color as yours.
Anyway, I had to scrub it off the glass with a scrubber thing with a long handle. It was really hard to get off, but I did the best I could (all the long hairy stuff was off, but a lot of short hairy "fuzz" was left). Then I did a total blackout for 3 days. That got rid of most of it that was on the plants (a few leaves of my amazon sword are still pretty fuzzy, though). Then I scrubbed the glass with one of those Mr. Clean Magic Erasers.
Anyway, sorry for the long story, but the best thing for my tank was manual removal and a blackout. Good luck!
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:59 PM   #5 
PunkinOfSteel

I have some green algae in there- and about a year ago i would have been freaking out about green algae but now it's like it's nothing haha. I've got a Bristlenose in the tank atm and he's good at eating up the green stuff and has eaten some of this new Algae but not much.

It used to grow on the glass but I did scrub off what was there about a month ago and it hasn't actually grown back on the glass since, just on both my Anubias's.

I thought it was Hair Algae also, but wasn't sure since I saw some other different types called like Beard Algae and freshwater Red Algae.. but maybe they are the same thing? It also looks like Staghorn, i've got bits and pieces here and there that totally look like that stuff too, but they don't really branch out like an antler, more like thread. Ohmygooosh do I have several types of algae in this tank? Bummer man, bummer.

I have been making sure not to leave my light on for very long, it was at 8 hours and i've reduced to 6 hours.

I have heard that hair algae will be eaten by Ghost Shrimp, but I know for a fact Ghost Shrimp are actually carnivores and don't eat algae unless they are starving and before they even think about that they go eat the fins off of your fish.. (i've seen it happen). I think Cherry Shrimp are veggie eaters and will eat atleast green algae, but does anyone know if they eat other types like this Hairy stuff too? I've heard Amano Shrimp also, but I don't know where locally i can buy those..

Also, thanks, http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/algae.htm this link was quite helpful and I've saved it for future use :)