Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-22-2013, 09:06 AM   #1 
JRSimmons12

New Tank!

Moved into college yesterday, went ahead and bought a Fluval Chi tank and a beautiful little golden elephant eared betta to go along with it. I put a couple of amazon swords in there, an anubia, and something else the name of which I forget. The swords look a little hammered. I bought them with the tank and everything except the fish on Sunday and wasn't able to plant them until yesterday when I moved into my dorm. Will they make it? Is there anything extra I can do to help them along?

The betta seems happy and has been a great source of company thus far in my college adventures!

Here are some pics!
Attached Images

JRSimmons12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:18 AM   #2 
litelboyblu

Beautiful !! Is it just me or is that head really big =/
litelboyblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:29 AM   #3 
JRSimmons12

It's pretty big haha. He likes to sleep in it though, it has 3 entrances and is all hollowed out.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:26 PM   #4 
10asartin

The fern in the back corner is not an aquatic fern, although pet store chains like to sell them that way. It will eventually begin to rot and taint your water so I would go ahead and remove it.
10asartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:01 PM   #5 
Kithy

Very pretty! His coloring with the black sand is awesome!
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:10 PM   #6 
JRSimmons12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10asartin View Post
The fern in the back corner is not an aquatic fern, although pet store chains like to sell them that way. It will eventually begin to rot and taint your water so I would go ahead and remove it.
Really? What is it? Do you have any suggestions for what I might exchange it with?

And thanks for the compliment! I was really fond of the sand and of the fish. I walked in and he was the first one to catch my eye, he was active, and is a really beautiful color. This is my first betta, so I'm pretty proud.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:28 PM   #7 
10asartin

It is a borneo fern, and while it grows in wetlands it will die when fully submerged. I would replace it with a java fern, they are really hard low light plants that will do well in your tank.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:29 PM   #8 
peachii

That fern might actually be the new ones they sell, that is an aquatic. So long as it wasn't sold as a peacock fern, it should be fine in the tank, doesn't look the right color to be a peacock fern. I looked at them the last time we were there and looked it up when we got home, i can't remember the name of it on the tube either.

Looks very nice.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:35 PM   #9 
10asartin

It is the same type of fern I purchased back when I was new to the aquatic plants, it was labeled "aqua fern". I put it in my tank and about a month later when it started to turn brown I did some research and found out it was not an aquatic plant.
If you just type in borneo fern on google you can see many different forum topics discussing how it is being sold as aquatic when it is terrestrial.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:10 AM   #10 
rickey
Banned

Aqua or Borneo fern (Trichomanes javanicum) is a semi aquatic won't last
submerge. I really wish they would stop do things like this or at least label as such.

Rick
rickey is offline   Reply With Quote