Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-23-2013, 02:36 AM   #11 
doryzx

I just saw pus come out of her body... Is it still okay to go on with epsom salt? Im scared that the salinity will hurt her, since I assume that the pus means she has an open wound

Thank you for all your constructive comments til now, please help me til she gets better...
doryzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:19 AM   #12 
Moonshine357

If you have her in aquarium salt it's normal slime coat over production from the salt. If it came from her anus she may have an internal parasite. I have very little experience with fish medications and I don't want to give you poor advice, I'm sure someone will chime in. I hope she gets well soon.
Moonshine357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:05 AM   #13 
ReeseInPieces

Can you post another picture? Pineconing is painful for fish and a lot don't survive after it has started to happen, I'm really sorry that this is happening to your girl.. The Epsom salt is to help draw out fluid, it's not actually salt it's magnesium salfate but I'm not sure how that effects wounds.
ReeseInPieces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:16 AM   #14 
LittleBlueFishlets

Dropsy occurs when the internal organs (kidneys, etc) can't eliminate fluids and wastes. As these build up, there is bloating, and eventually pineconing.

Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) is different from Aquarium salt (which has a high percentage of sodium chloride.) Epsom salt has a fluid reducing effect, and will help draw the fluids/wastes out of her body. I would go ahead and use it exactly as OldFishLady described.

Also, studies have shown that fish have fewer external pain receptors than people. They likely feel discomfort, but the studies indicate that they won't feel pain the same way that we do..... But, unfortunately, her pineconing indicates the her internal organs aren't functioning well anymore. The Epsom salt, tannins, and mosquito larvae may help her be more comfortable right now though....

Good luck! Keep us updated......
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 03:33 AM   #15 
doryzx

Thank you all so much for the helpful comments... Fishie has moved on to a better fish tank in the sky... Her gills stopped moving and she was hanging upside down in the water, with pus exuding from under her scales.

I guess, I'll maybe try again after I graduate with proper equipment.

Thank you so much.
doryzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 04:50 AM   #16 
JayM

Sorry to hear doryzx. SIP.
JayM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dropsy, help me please, sick, urgent help