Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-10-2009, 08:04 AM   #21 
Angelmonster

Well I am sad and pissed at the same time. Sad because I think what is killing my females is dropsy >_< I went to clean the tank and looked at my bettas yesterday and one has the raised scales >_> Angry because Petsmart sold one to me that had dropsy :-/

Maybe by the time I got to the betta the scales went back down on them but this is the first one showing any signs of having an actual disease. I decided to leave them in their cups and am giving them daily water changes and salt baths. I know nothing can stop dropsy if they have it but just incase it is some kind of infection I am going to treat them daily. They said it can take 15 days to kill them so I decided I am going to buy three 2.5 gallon vases for the three showing no signs and they will be vase betta(no I will not make them eat a plant I put in there). The fourth one will remain in a cup until whatever she has goes away :-/

I really really wish the others showed signs of this so I could have prevented the last three from dying
Angelmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 08:23 AM   #22 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm so sorry your fish are sick. If its dropsy, all you can do is make them comfortable and I know you are already doing that. Good luck.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 10:31 AM   #23 
Angelmonster

Thanks. The one looks half dead already(was pink with red fins and now is basically white all over). I am buying big vases and those small heaters for the other Bettas. If they all end up dying I will buy more bettas but will NOT be putting them together!

In the end I consider the sorority a failure and purely blame Petsmarts horrible treatment of their female bettas.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:25 AM   #24 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelmonster View Post
It is, especially since they seemed to have been doing fine together as a group. There were some little fights but no fin rips or anything major If they all end up dying 1)I am boycotting Petsmart. 2) I wont do another sorority and probably won't put a betta in there either. It is too big for a single betta.

No tank size is too big. I would just try using females from a different source.

My first sorority had four females from petsmart. About four months later two were dead (uknown disease). I bought another from walmart and she died about 3 months later (NOW theres a shocker ). Now I have the original two, another one I bought after the first one died, and a new fat little girl from walmart. Still just my first sorority.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 01:11 PM   #25 
Angelmonster

Yeah I know, i just don't have the room to house 5-10 gallon tanks for all of them. I have seen plenty of 2.5ers floating around on this forum. I will buy little pad heaters and plan on doing water changes(full) two times a week.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:46 PM   #26 
Angelmonster

Sad sad day, Two more of them died befor eI got home That means only three are remaining. One was the one that was in the tank for an hour so I think she is safe. One of them is bloating so I think she is a goner, I do not have high hopes for the other I even went out and found three gallon vases andheaters for all of them! Looks like I will be getting some new male bettas this weekend after I do a thurough cleaning.

R.I.P. Betta Betta Betta Sorority. Sorry Petsmart gave you dropsy
Old 07-10-2009, 10:14 PM   #27 
dramaqueen
Banned

Oh, that is so sad! I'm so sorry!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 11:27 PM   #28 
BakaMandy

D: Aw man... sounds tough. I want to start a small Sorority, but it sounds really tough... ):

I wonder if a successful Sorority tank lies partly in their health and how they were raised? Obviously stores like PetSmart, PetCo and Walmart probably get all their fish from fish mills or something, and probably grow up in really rough conditions. The employees generally know nothing about the fish their selling too, and take horrible care of them too... so it's a cruel environment.
BakaMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 12:31 PM   #29 
Angelmonster

I m half tempted to save my 29 gallon and mate one of my female with my male betta, raise them and sell the male fry(whent hey are old enough). I could then keep the females as a sorority tank. I just don't knwo if I want to go through all that trouble or just throw cories, neons and some other generics in there haha.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:00 AM   #30 
Angelmonster

And another died in its new 3 gallon tank. Damn PEtsmart, this is making me really angry now. I am down to one survivor out of 8 >_>