Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-22-2013, 11:43 AM   #1 
apollo1005

Exclamation Both of my bettas have died, what's wrong?

I'm new to this forum. I have owned bettas in the past, but not for a few years. Recently I bough a dumbo male from Petco and kept him in small unfiltered "tank" for a few months. He seemed to be doing just fine, making bubble nests and all, until I realized he was really in a tank much smaller than he needed. I bough a 10 gallon with a filter and heater, filled it with water and added conditioner, waited until it was room temperature, and slowly introduced my betta to the new tank. I'll admit, i didnt know anything about cycling when I did this. But the next day, he was acting strange. He stayed at the bottom of his tank no matter what, wouldnt come up for food, etc. At first I thought it might just be swim bladder, but then I saw the very very edges of his fins looked like they might be rotting (and i mean the VERY edges, not really noticeable unless you looked super close). After a few more days of this he was dead :'( Thinking it was just swim bladder still (I know, I'm an idiot) I went out and bought another betta from the same place, didn't change the water in my tank, and introduced him carefully to his new home. Immediately he started doing the same thing, staying at the bottom of his tank, not swimming around, etc. In the couple days I had him, I didn't see him eat once. He started getting the slightest fin rot just like my elephant ear did, so last night I put him in a "hospital tank" because I was going to run out today and get some antibiotics and see if that helped. This morning I woke up to see he had passed just as my first one did. I looked up betta diseases and I really can't figure out what happened to them. If anyone could help me, it would be really appreciated.

ps, when the second one started showing symptoms, I went out and bought a water testing kit, the only thing that really seemed off was the pH, which was a little bit too high. Ammonia was a tiny bit high as well, so I started doing 25% daily water changes, which didn't help him at all.
apollo1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:16 PM   #2 
plengel

I'm not sure what size filter you were running but maybe the current was much to strong for them to really move I know that the big ear kind can have a bit more of a harder time swimming due to the extra finage. maybe you should look in to putting some cheese cloth over the filter intake to slow down the current for the bettas. Also make sure that they have a nice place that they can hide. I know if I was a little fish in a huge tank I would love to hid till I could explore. As for their fin rot look it could of been there when you got them or it could of been damage from the current in the water.
plengel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:22 PM   #3 
10asartin

A strong current would not cause a betta to die, and certainly not in a few days.
My best guess is there is something toxic in the new tank. Did you sanitize everything with warm or hot water and vinegar before adding the fish?
I will also recommend that next time your decide to purchase a betta invest in an adjustable heater, bettas are tropical fish and do best in water that is 78-80 degrees.
10asartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:59 PM   #4 
apollo1005

I just used the filter that came with the tank, its an aqueon 10 gallon, and i did use the heater it came with as well. Once i put my dumbo in, i slowly adjusted the heater until the water was at a steady 79-80 degrees. He had many plants to hide in. But i didnt know about sanitizing the tank first. How would i do that?
apollo1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:03 PM   #5 
10asartin

Use White Vinegar (maybe 1 cup) and just dilute it with warm to hot water. How much water you add to dilute it is kind of up to you, but I would suggest adding 3 gallons of water per 1 cup of vinegar.
Scrub down the tank with it and soak the decorations, heater, filter (not filter media), and fake plants in it for up to 24 hours. After this rinse everything thoroughly with warm water until you can not smell any vinegar.
Are the plants fake plants and are there any other decorations in the tank? Also, what type of substrate are you using, if it is gravel it will need to be rinsed thoroughly with warm to hot water?
10asartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 02:53 PM   #6 
Lauretar

This looks similar to what happened to my fishies:(
Lauretar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 03:57 PM   #7 
Kumo

water parameters

Do you have any idea what your pH, Nitrite, Ammonia levels are? This could be a sign that something is wrong. Large levels of nitride and/or ammonia have the potential to kill fish.
Kumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 04:15 PM   #8 
hollyk

Sounds like, as quickly as it happened, that it wasn't a result of an uncycled tank. It usually takes a few days for ammonia to start to build up as the tank starts to cycle. It shouldn't have happened that quickly. I'll second 10asartin's opinion that there was something toxic in the tank. Either the tank itself- they always say to rinse it before you use it, although I'm not sure what kind of chemicals could be in there or if it's more for glass dust, etc.; or any gravel and/or decorations. I've heard people say that when they rinse a new decoration sometimes, or let it sit, that they smell paint when they pull it out of the water. Some of those "aquarium safe" decorations are not at all. Or if you had anything else in the tank- natural driftwood, rocks from the yard, household items like mugs or flowerpots that may have been cleaned at some point with soap, that might have caused a problem, too. Try to re-clean everything before introducing any more fish, and if you have any decorations you're not sure about, don't use them. Sorry about your fishies!
hollyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 06:57 PM   #9 
Lauretar

Okay thanks for your answers. I did not test the water. Ran to the pet store after it all happened and now I have a testing kit to keep my other fish safe.
I rinsed the tank with hot hot water and used a but of vinegar too. I made sure I rinsed off the vinegar afterwards. I guess I rinsed it well because this all happened like 2 weeks after. But who knows what kind of silicone they used. They cant be trusted because all they care about is profits. Not fish. Anyways the suspicious item is a treasure chest I purchased couple days ago. I rinsed it with hot water now and smelled it and it smells badly. That plastic smell. So its possible that this caused it. I'm only guessing here tho. Its strange that it would be fine for couple days and then all of sudden the toxin levels would get so high. I will not put it in. Just to be safe. I boiled the gravel and I hope it is safe to use it again. If I test it with the kit and some levels are not as they should be- what do I do. Change water immediately? Or buy drops that can help to fix it? I'm not sure because this kit is testing for 5 things. So that means I have to have a treatment for all 5 of the conditions, correct? Thanks a lot! I read about it but I get more confused. Peoples opinions vary.
Lauretar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:04 PM   #10 
hollyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauretar View Post
Okay thanks for your answers. I did not test the water. Ran to the pet store after it all happened and now I have a testing kit to keep my other fish safe.
I rinsed the tank with hot hot water and used a but of vinegar too. I made sure I rinsed off the vinegar afterwards. I guess I rinsed it well because this all happened like 2 weeks after. But who knows what kind of silicone they used. They cant be trusted because all they care about is profits. Not fish. Anyways the suspicious item is a treasure chest I purchased couple days ago. I rinsed it with hot water now and smelled it and it smells badly. That plastic smell. So its possible that this caused it. I'm only guessing here tho. Its strange that it would be fine for couple days and then all of sudden the toxin levels would get so high. I will not put it in. Just to be safe. I boiled the gravel and I hope it is safe to use it again. If I test it with the kit and some levels are not as they should be- what do I do. Change water immediately? Or buy drops that can help to fix it? I'm not sure because this kit is testing for 5 things. So that means I have to have a treatment for all 5 of the conditions, correct? Thanks a lot! I read about it but I get more confused. Peoples opinions vary.
Well, the kit should tell you exactly what's wrong where. Usually it's ammonia that's a problem. Prime is a good conditioner that removes chlorines and chloramines as well as neutralizes ammonia. If the ammonia in your tank gets high, I would do a partial water change, and treat the tank with Prime. But yeah, I think ammonia is often the culprit in sudden deaths. It starts to rise long before the tank looks dirty, so people don't even see it coming.

And yes, the treasure chest does sound suspicious... You're right- a lot of companies want to sell a product; they don't care so much if the product they use is toxic or not. There's actually a thread elsewhere on the forum about bad products- people sharing their experiences with certain products. I'll see if I can find it...
hollyk is offline   Reply With Quote