Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-25-2009, 11:27 AM   #1 
redhead09

Love the Forum...Yes, another newbie needs help!

Hi all....first - love all the pictures of your Bettas! Amazing looking fish.

So, I have to admit that I was not happy when our Betta arrived at our house with the 1.66 gal. tank. This means Mom has to clean and take care of! But, I am getting into it!

Like I said, we have a 1.66 gal tank, with a small Betta. The tank does have a air pump - no filter and NO HEATER. Can someone recommend a heater that can regulate such a small tank - and not melt the acrylic? Looking for a really small one, I guess.

Also, what the heck is a bubble nest ?

Thanks so much!
redhead09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 11:38 AM   #2 
mullinsd2

I dont know of any heaters that are made for such a small unit of water. Personally I would reccomend upgrading to at least a 4 or 5 gallon tank, and then purchasing a 50 watt heater. If you really don't want to upgrade, you can give the tank a good light source that may help keep the temperature up. Just look on craigslist if you do not want to go spend 50 bucks. There are 5 gallon tanks for sale on there for 20 dollars with a heater.
mullinsd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 12:14 PM   #3 
IonBaller07

Do you know how warm the water is, it might not need a heater if it at least 75 or so. Also a bubblenest is a a collection of bubbles at the top of the water that a male blows (sometimes female). Its real function is to hold the eggs that a female lays, but in a non-breeding situation it means that the fish is happy and healthy.
IonBaller07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 12:23 PM   #4 
neenjar

Hydor makes heaters for tiny aquariums and fish bowls. They are not adjustable, but raise the water temp 2-3 degrees.

hydor: http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.as...sultRedirect=1 - they make a 15w version of this too, which for 1.6 gallons may be better.

the 15w: http://www.marineandreef.com/Hydor_M...p/rhy00474.htm
neenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 01:15 PM   #5 
redhead09

Thanks all!!!
The temp has been hovering around 78 - since it has been so hot lately. However given that this room is usually pretty cool in winter - that small heater is looking good!

Thanks all for the replies!
redhead09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 01:52 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

Tetra also makes a mini heater that you can get at Walmart.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote