Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-15-2013, 10:07 AM   #81 
Abawhite2021

yeah im gonna keep him in the 1 gal tank until i cycle the 5 gal and then im gonna move him back into the bigger tank. Im debating getting a small tank divider and putting it around the filter so he wont get hurt by that. Hopefully he'll like his new spot i found him watching me and the tv yesterday. I'll miss him in my bedroom but as i said they'res alot more going on in the living room as to ppl and toehr animals walking around.

Ill keep his water as clean as i can.
Abawhite2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 12:38 PM   #82 
ANHEL123

Yes make sure filter not too strong for him. I am not experienced with filters , never had filter in any of my tanks.There is many ways to baffle it, and make it safe for him. If you will need help with that make a new thread so more people can see it.
One thing and sorry if i am repeating myself, i don't remember if i said it. But make sure you do minimum of 50% water changes weekly in your cycle tank, clean the walls, vacuum the gravel and swish/rinse filter in the tank water weekly as it can gather a lot of gunk in it.

Good luck let us know how he doing.
ANHEL123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 12:49 PM   #83 
Abawhite2021

I learned about the cycle process a month or so ago. So i need to do that before i put fishy back into the tank. I also did learn about the 50% weekly changes after fishy got fin-rot :( I have a gravel vac and everything so i can keep his tank super clean.

As for Fishy i think hes happy in the living room. My dad was vacing the rugs and he was swimming around looking at what hes doing. Every time someone walks in or out of the living room fishy swims after them and watches them. I even saw him watching the TV set too! I also think im starting to get paradiod i swear i saw more black on his tail fin today but now that hes in the living room and not agaist a wall i'm finding it hard to see the right coloration of his tail. Its possable that its black or just blue like he is. I know that part of his tail is a part he bit off and it has bit of stringy flesh left on it. Its possable that flesh is dying but now i gotta keep an eye on that too! At-least his water temp is still at 76* and he ate his pellets like a betta-pig again lol Fishy also seems to like watching PPL and the TV. Yesterday i kept cathing him looking down at me on the couch and today he keeps staring at my dad! It is weird that hes not in my room anymore but heck if hes happy in the living room then im glad hes happy
Old 09-15-2013, 10:41 PM   #84 
Abawhite2021

Ok so i put fishy in our living room and he seems to like it in there. Today he watched my father vac the rug. Fishy looks down at who-ever is on the couch and hes fasanated by our cat. he also seems to like watching tv and watching us walk in and out of the living room.
I'm also debating a start to move him back into his 5 gal tank. I need to cycle it still since idk if its safe to put him back in that tank the way it is. I'm also unsure about the filter. I don't want him to get hurt under it. I've been debating getting a fish tank divider and putting it around the base of the filter so he cannot swim under it and get sucked up.
Yet on happyer news i was looking at some of that mikly stuff still on fishys tail with the clear stuff outlined in black...i think what i'm seeing could be fin re-growth. The white stuff is the same shape as the chunk that was missing and the clear stuff lines up perfectly with the red streaks in his tail. if thats the case than thats a great sign. But I did find fishy doing something i dont like. He's been rubbing his belly agaist the bottom of the tank i read if they do that they could have a parasite but fishy doesnt have ick or velvet. Its possable that bump i saw on him before he got fin-rot or started to bite his tail or what-ever the reason is for his fins looking the way they do is it possable he has in interal parasite from eatting the roots of the plant he came with? IDK but i got him some anti-parasite food to give to him just in case. It could help it could do crap, but i think if i had ringworm or something i'd be stressed and bite my fins too.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:23 AM   #85 
ANHEL123

i don't like that he is rubbing the belly. Keep him in the hospital tank for observation. You right usually if they do that its either the ich or velvet , or internal parasites. What kind of plant it is , i didn't know that they eat the rot i don't think it good though. Not really experience with that but never read that any one said that their betta eats roots of the plant. Also i don't remember that you mentioned the bump ....Where is the bump?

With internal parasites fish sometimes will have distended, discolored (grayish)stomach , the poop will be white, clear, broken white wormy, stringy shape. Usually if fish has internal parasites the his healthy will diteriorate pretty fast , also clamped fins, stop eating.

External parasites like you said fish will scratch him self and also would have white spots on the body or looks like the body sprinkled with salt. So keep eye on him.

About anti parasite food. When you do next water change you can take all gravel out and observe his poo if it the way i described above then give him that food. Also you can try to soak his food in the fresh squeezed garlic which is also preventative method for internal parasites.
Hmm i am wondering why he is scratching the belly?

And also fish can bite the tail because something bothering him including ext parasites. So yes keep eye on him .

Sorry its 9 pages can you remind to me how long you have him?
Old 09-16-2013, 11:25 AM   #86 
ANHEL123

About cycling you can do fish- in cycle or fishless cycle and i do have a few links if you ever need it. One link that i have its from Oldfishlady about fishin cycle.
But since we worry about him now i think its good idea to observe him in the smaller tank if you can keep the temp there.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:30 PM   #87 
Abawhite2021

I can hes inside the 5 gal tank in the 1 gal tank so his water will be warm. So far today he's still acting the same. I did get some anti-parasite food for him just incase he does have an interal parasite but all his droppings are brown they look almost like a long strand of brown-ish dog poop so idk. His hospital tank has no gravel and I'd rather be causious then have a dead fish. I did another water change on him today and put the small tank back inside his big tank in the living room. He seems to dash from side to side dragging his belly and bottom fin agaist the bottom of the tank. This was the first time i've seen him do that. For all i know he could of been showing off but i did read parasites make them do that. On the other hand he doesnt scratch agaist any of the plants just the same section of the bottom of his tank. He tore up part of his bottom fin pretty bad as well which bumbed me out.
I also dont see any white bloches on him so idk if its ick or velvet but trust me i'm keeping an eye on him. I've had fishy for almost 2 months but hes only been out of the small vase he was in for a month or so since i had to buy a tank and everything else. He came with a pease lilly on top of his tank, the roots went into the tank and while he was at my job all the food the fish had was the roots of the plant. I'll find a photo. Its possable the plants could of had a parasite on them and he ate it.

Cute thing today my mother was dusting his tank before i went to work and he kept swimming back and forth chacing the duster. My mom madea point to dust his tank just a bit longer as he swam from side to side like a mad fish.

Last edited by Abawhite2021; 09-16-2013 at 04:42 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:46 PM   #88 
Abawhite2021

http://www.foundus.com/betta/BettaFishVase.jpg
Old 09-16-2013, 10:32 PM   #89 
ANHEL123

I think his poo sound normal so i would think it not internal parasites. But what you described is kind of confusing to me. Yes watch him, make the video again if you see him doing that. I am curious how it look a like , i or other people might tell oyu if its normal fish behavior or something is wrong.
Also the best thing for the external parasites is 88* and daily water changes . Constant 88* temp will sped up parasites cycle , make them fall faster so you can remove free swimming ich without hurting fish. Also ich and velvet using photosynthesis , meaning they will reproduce with light. So try keep him in dark. But please i don't want you to make paranoid since we already are. Just keep eye on the new behavior, water changes and if oyu can try to couch it on the video.

Yes live plant can carry ich, that is why i always write to everyone quarantine the plant.
The picture that you show me is kind of scaring me though. Its too much roots in it, could hurt the betta.
Also is the water from the bigger tank 5 gall get in the smaller tank? Is the water in the 5 gall tank clean? Not sure if you recently change it .

Also sorry i don't remember did you took the plant out or its still in the tank? If it is i would take it out . You don't have to throw that out though. Just put it in the water. Even if it is carry ich it will die without a host.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:38 PM   #90 
Abawhite2021

I'll start with the plant. Fishy is NO where NEAR that plant anymore. That is a set up he came in and lived in for a month or so at my job. When i got him I kept him in the vace until i put him in the 5 gal tank i think July 25th. The plants across the room sitting on a shelf. It's very healthy. I just wanted to you to see the inviroment he came from. No water from the 5 gal tank can get into the 1 gal at all. With the hospital tank inside the 5 gal tank it sticks out of it a good foot or two. My dad keeps saying it looks like the fish is gonna swim out of the tank the way the hospital tank is. I also think maybe he's not rubbing his belly agaist the bottom. What i think hes doing is looking down at the person sitting on the couch. He didnt do it at all yesterday but i'll continue to keep an eye on him. Its not hard now..all i gotta do is look up lol