Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-25-2009, 01:08 PM   #1 
3bangdoos
New Member
 
3bangdoos's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Norwood, MA
Angry Just how bad is flaring?

Neptune is in a 2.5G tank with an aquarium light which is switched on the whole time(except at night), but my gripe is that we are constrained to keep the adjacent lights in the room switched on as well, lest he see his own reflection in the tank walls and start flaring.
I've observed this behavior the moments the lights in the room are shut and only the aquarium light is on. My wife jokes that with the kind of continuous flaring he does, his gills are soon gonna fall off

But seriously, how bad is flaring and does it stress them out? I can't move tank to any place else, so is there a way out of this conundrum?
3bangdoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 01:14 PM   #2 
IonBaller07
Member
 
IonBaller07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
There is nothing wrong with them flaring, lots of people actually say flaring is good for the betta. I guess I could see all day flaring as a bad thing, what you could do to stop it is either leave it on all day and let him flare, he will probably tire of it and get bored the same way they do when you put their tank next to another betta. If that doesnt work you could but something like a tank background on the side where it would be making reflections. But he should be fine.
IonBaller07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 01:17 PM   #3 
3bangdoos
New Member
 
3bangdoos's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Norwood, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonBaller07 View Post
There is nothing wrong with them flaring, lots of people actually say flaring is good for the betta. I guess I could see all day flaring as a bad thing, what you could do to stop it is either leave it on all day and let him flare, he will probably tire of it and get bored the same way they do when you put their tank next to another betta. If that doesnt work you could but something like a tank background on the side where it would be making reflections. But he should be fine.
Wow! Awesome suggestion on the tank background. Thanks IonBaller07!
3bangdoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 01:25 PM   #4 
neenjar
Member
 
neenjar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: South Florida
Flaring is good for them. I make Zeus flare daily in 10 minute doses by putting a mirror on the side of is tank. If they flare too often it is possible to damage gil tissue, but that takes some excessive flaring. If you are concerned it is too much then out a book on the side of the tank at night to block some light, or cover that side of the tank with a towel.
neenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 01:29 PM   #5 
MrVampire181
Member
 
MrVampire181's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Colorado
All my jarred males are next to each other. I don't card them unless they're halfmoons. They flare all the time, very pretty site :)
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 01:30 PM   #6 
3bangdoos
New Member
 
3bangdoos's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Norwood, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by neenjar View Post
Flaring is good for them. I make Zeus flare daily in 10 minute doses by putting a mirror on the side of is tank. If they flare too often it is possible to damage gil tissue, but that takes some excessive flaring. If you are concerned it is too much then out a book on the side of the tank at night to block some light, or cover that side of the tank with a towel.
Makes sense. Thanks neenjar! I would err on the side of caution and say that the amount of flaring is not something I'm comfortable with. 'Betta' safe than sorry!
3bangdoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 01:32 PM   #7 
3bangdoos
New Member
 
3bangdoos's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Norwood, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVampire181 View Post
All my jarred males are next to each other. I don't card them unless they're halfmoons. They flare all the time, very pretty site :)
Seriously? You must have one hell of a stomach to say that's 'pretty' Ouch! I feel the pain of those stretched gills right here. Ouch! My jaw hurts!!
3bangdoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:00 PM   #8 
LiyahsGrandma
New Member
 
LiyahsGrandma's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: sc
my red one flares at the blue one. Its okay I think.
LiyahsGrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:01 PM   #9 
LiyahsGrandma
New Member
 
LiyahsGrandma's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: sc
my red one flares more than my blue one. I think its okay and all.
LiyahsGrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:22 PM   #10 
MrVampire181
Member
 
MrVampire181's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bangdoos View Post
Seriously? You must have one hell of a stomach to say that's 'pretty' Ouch! I feel the pain of those stretched gills right here. Ouch! My jaw hurts!!

It's perfectly fine, a lot of breeders do it.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
flaring reaperss06 Betta Fish Care 4 02-01-2010 04:21 PM
Too much flaring? LeahK Betta Fish Care 6 11-13-2009 12:27 AM
Flaring Zeus Betta Fish Care 7 10-15-2009 10:04 AM
flaring Philip The Fish Betta Fish Care 1 06-28-2009 05:10 PM
To much flaring? Sushi Betta Fish Care 2 12-31-2007 06:20 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.