Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-17-2014, 07:51 AM   #1 
givemethatfish

Help poor Jetta

Hi all - I'm hoping someone can help me diagnose poor Jetta. I have answered the questions below. Backstory - I have had him less than 2 weeks. He is in a cycled, heated, filtered 4 gallon tank with some live plants and 2 small snails. This tank is on my office desk at work. I will admit I haven't taken the best care of him for the past week. I was out of work for 4 days last week with H1N1 flu. I performed a 50% water change last Monday afternoon, and then I was out sick the rest of the week. I had a co-worker feed him, but I couldn't ask them to change the water. I came into the office on Friday and did another 50% water change and fed Jetta and the snails. I still haven't seen him eat anything since I got him. He has also been hiding a lot and kind of subdued since I got him as well. I thought maybe this was just normal betta stuff, but I have another betta at home that I got on the same day as Jetta who was quiet for 2-3 days but is now very much more active and playful than Jetta is.

Basically, right now, he is swimming around a little bit, going back to hide for 5 minutes, swimming up for air, going back to hide, over and over. He doesn't seem to be struggling when he swims or gasping. He is responsive when I go over and look at him or put my finger on the tank near him. But he has a little slime on his back fins and the white splotches/spots.

Pictures - from reading I think it may either be ick or a fungus, but I don't know how to tell the difference. Thanks for the help. I feel so bad for my guy. I should have been here to care for him, and I would have come in sooner if at all possible, but I was literally in bed unable to get up all week :(

Housing

What size is your tank? 4 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 78 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 2 nerite snails

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One betta food and frozen brine shrimp
How often do you feed your betta fish? Daily/every other day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? As water tests indicate or minimum weekly 50%
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50-100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Seachem Prime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? Tested upon returning to work after weekend & performed 100% water change, then retest

Ammonia: .25 - after retest 0
Nitrite: 0-0
Nitrate: 0-0
pH: 7.3-7.4
Hardness: medium
Alkalinity: n/a

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? White patches/spots, color darker but duller
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No change
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Last Friday afternoon
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Unknown
How old is your fish (approximately)? Unknown - have only had 2 weeks
givemethatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:14 AM   #2 
mart

Looks to me to be body slime. If that is what it is, then it is a fungus.
mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:02 AM   #3 
givemethatfish

He's actually much more active now after the water change. I have some aquarium salt and a more powerful heater at home. I'll bring them in tomorrow and hopefully give him some relief.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:20 PM   #4 
givemethatfish

Is there some way to entice a fish to eat? I have tried pellets and frozen shrimp and even flakes, and I still haven't seen the poor guy eat anything. I can't imagine he can recover without eating. He doesn't even look twice at any of it. After some initial activity after the water change, all Jetta does is go up for air every few minutes and then go back to his laying-down spot.

Also after doing some more looking around, his fins are definitely clamped. I wonder if I should bring him home with me tonight so I can begin treating him or if that would just be too stressful.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:12 PM   #5 
Taeanna
Reference Team

Can you post a newer picture of him for comparisen? He may have gotten something from the pet store and is having difficulty which we can help you with.
Taeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:16 PM   #6 
givemethatfish

Those pictures were taken this morning. This one is of him last Monday when I got him if that helps for comparison.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:58 PM   #7 
Taeanna
Reference Team

The fungus on him looks pretty widespread. I am pretty certain that's a fungal infection. Can you shine a light on him and tell me if he sparkles gold? As if he has flecks of glitter on him.

If he is refusing food you can try soaking them in garlic juice, bettas seem to love the taste for some reason.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:20 AM   #8 
givemethatfish

So he actually looks better this morning all on his own. The white has really faded from his head and face, and his color is looking brighter. When I got in this morning, he was swimming around for a while, but now he's hiding again since I did the water change. I did about 70%. I also added in a more powerful, adjustable heater and set it to 82 and also threw in a rooibos tea bag.

I did shine a light on him, and there is one spot near his face that sparkles gold. Nowhere else, but it's a very clear gold sparkle/glitter area. What does that mean?
Old 02-18-2014, 03:02 PM   #9 
Taeanna
Reference Team

Since your boy is red it may be his iridescence, however gold flecks is the hallmark sign of velvet disease. if you see your boy scratching or the spot spreads to cover his body then it may very well have been velvet all along.
However if it is his normal iridescence youll only see it at certain times and it will cover most of him, try and see what color his fins and body shine now for reference and see if a change occurs
Old 02-19-2014, 07:55 AM   #10 
givemethatfish

Well, I think Jetta is feeling somewhat better. The white splotches are way smaller and there are a lot less of them. His fins look more open too. And when he's hovering in the corner, he's more just actually hovering by moving his fins rather than just laying there. The new heater keeps the water at 84, and I did put a rooibos tea bag in for most of the day yesterday so it's kind of a deep yellow/brown now.

The problem is, how do I nurse him back to health at this point. He still won't eat. I've dropped the pellets right near him when he comes up for air, but he doesn't even look twice at them. I brought a little piece of garlic and rubbed it on the pellets this morning, and he still didn't notice them. He just goes back to his corner. How do I get him to eat? I also have frozen brine shrimp which he doesn't even look twice at.