Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-07-2009, 07:43 PM   #31 
Rain Drop

Wow, this was so helpful! I gave Caesar his first salt bath today and he took it well. Of course his fin rot is still nasty since I gave him the bath just this afternoon, but it fixed a really tiny hole already!

I have a question though....since it says to use some of the tank water in the bath, after the bath is it okay to dump some of the less concentrated bath water back into the tank with the fish?

EDIT;;
oops! Never mind, I see you already answered this question ^^;

Last edited by Rain Drop; 07-07-2009 at 07:46 PM.
Rain Drop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:44 PM   #32 
Luxornv

I had to add more meds to the bowl today, but while I was doing that, I thought I might try to give a salt bath to my betta. I only have the one bowl that he stays in, so I used a large cup for this (what I normally hold him in while I'm changing the water). I treated the water and then added a little bit of salt, and put him in. He started swimming very quicckly and appeared disoriented, and then he quickly began swimming on the bottom of the cup while scraping his nose. I've never seen him do this, so I took him out and put him back in the regular bowl and added more medicne like I had intended. So did I do anything wrong or is my betta just one of those that doesn't like it?
Luxornv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 09:36 PM   #33 
Vikki81207

I have a question about some of this. Fishy has one single hole in his fin. It's small but noticeable. Will salt water help or do I need different meds?
Vikki81207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 06:09 AM   #34 
BakaMandy

I have a question...

You said to just plop them in, but could the salt suddenly make him go into shock? Could I slowly introduce him to the salt bath? I'm just afraid for one of the weaker fish I'm taking care of :S
BakaMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 06:58 AM   #35 
neenjar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakaMandy View Post
I have a question...

You said to just plop them in, but could the salt suddenly make him go into shock? Could I slowly introduce him to the salt bath? I'm just afraid for one of the weaker fish I'm taking care of :S
For very weak fish you can acclimate them, but the salt ration will not be right then. Usually you just make sure that the temp matches the tank temp and drop them in. I have never had a fish go into shock, but have heard of it happening.
neenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 06:59 AM   #36 
neenjar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikki81207 View Post
I have a question about some of this. Fishy has one single hole in his fin. It's small but noticeable. Will salt water help or do I need different meds?
Since you caught the issue early and it is just a small hole I will recommend salt bath to the 1000th power! When you catch something early is when it is most effective.

salt bath + water change = fast healing of minor issues.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:43 AM   #37 
Vikki81207

Yeah I don't do salt baths because he's kept in a gallon vase with a teaspoon of salt. If I gave him a salt bath, would you say to add more salt or what??
It seems like he's doing better, the hole seems to be getting smaller and smaller every so often. I can still see through it a little though.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:53 AM   #38 
neenjar

a gallon vase with a teaspoon of salt IS a salt bath. he lives in a salt bath. if that is what he is acclimated to then yes you would want to do a stronger dose. But that should suffice, I would do daily water changes until the fin is healed.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:05 AM   #39 
Vikki81207

Okay that's what I've been doing lol. So hopefully he should be better sooner or later. Hopefully sooner. =)
Thanks
Old 07-09-2009, 01:31 PM   #40 
Angelmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by neenjar View Post
Exactly what dukie said, remove him and put in a container of just tank water.
Personally I would not use tank water. If fin rot is involved i prefer to gave a quarantine tank available to keep him in. Who know what will be left behind in the tank if the fish is sick. :-/
Angelmonster is offline   Reply With Quote