Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-09-2009, 02:40 PM   #41 
neenjar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelmonster View Post
Personally I would not use tank water. If fin rot is involved i prefer to gave a quarantine tank available to keep him in. Who know what will be left behind in the tank if the fish is sick. :-/
I would do a mixture of tank and treated fresh then with more treated fresh than tank. If the fish freaks in the salt bath it has extra stress on it, even though dirty tank water is "home" now mixing in fresh water to dilute the dirty while you water change the tank is a good idea.

If the fish is fine in the salt bath then none of this extra is needed ;)
neenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:51 PM   #42 
MrVampire181

I add salt to my tanks and a few of them have cory cats. Will this cause a problem? Cause I haven't had any problems.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:32 PM   #43 
neenjar

most scaleless fish can not tolerate salt, corys and plecos can tolerate some because they are armored, not skin. It should be fine, I have kept corys for a long time and always added alt to their water.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:20 PM   #44 
Angelmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVampire181 View Post
I add salt to my tanks and a few of them have cory cats. Will this cause a problem? Cause I haven't had any problems.
Just don't drop the salt into the tank because it will burn the cories. Dissolve it and pour the salt water in.
Angelmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 04:29 AM   #45 
cottoncandygirl

what could happen if i used regular salt?
cottoncandygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 11:31 AM   #46 
neenjar

Regular salt has iodine and other things in it that would be very stressful to the fish. Possible fatal by poisoning.
Old 07-12-2009, 04:05 PM   #47 
Vikki81207

Kay I have another question about fin rot. When I got Ember, I noticed he had fin rot. Not bad. But the ends of his tail fin are trimmed black and I was wondering if and how long it would take for that to go away. I'm keeping him in a big pickle jar with water treated with 1 tsp aquarium salt, api conditioner & a tiny bit of Melafix.
Vikki81207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 04:39 PM   #48 
Wed

im a little scared to give my betta a salt bath :( i dont want him to have a weird reaction to it or something...

so a couple of questions before i finally get the guts to do it bahaha

1. i only have the little cup he came in...would i still have to do the gallon water and 1 tsp? or would a jar or something be okay to use too?

2. what do u mean by "treated" water?

3. should i clean out his whole tank, put new water, give the salt bath, then put him in his new water?

and i had one more question but i cant remember it! ughhhhhh.
i guess those will do until i remember.
Wed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 05:02 PM   #49 
neenjar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikki81207 View Post
Kay I have another question about fin rot. When I got Ember, I noticed he had fin rot. Not bad. But the ends of his tail fin are trimmed black and I was wondering if and how long it would take for that to go away. I'm keeping him in a big pickle jar with water treated with 1 tsp aquarium salt, api conditioner & a tiny bit of Melafix.
Vikki, you are keeping him in a salt bath full time? Or you just put him in that jar for the baths then back in a tank with less salt concentration? also the black on the tail ends may just be a bit of black and not fin rot. I am treating a friends betta with finrot and a damaged beard right now and his fin rot is only on the dorsal, he has just the slightest bit of back on the tail tips but has always been that way. Fin rot would be more of a dark brown than black.
Old 07-13-2009, 05:09 PM   #50 
Vikki81207

Oh really? That's good. Then I only have to wait for his one little hole to go away.
I keep them in a "salt bath" full time while treating for fin rot. It works great. They are fine with it. They've got bubblenests all the time. Is it bad that I do that?
Vikki81207 is offline   Reply With Quote