Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-22-2013, 11:06 PM   #1 
godtiermagikarp

Torn Fin or Rot?

About two hours ago I noticed two slits in Winchester's caudal fin. These are new; I hadn't seen them until now. My question is: are they from fin rot or a sharp object in the aquarium? When I noticed this I took his fake coral rock out and I noticed it had some sharp edges, so that's no longer in his tank. I also did a 100% water change and washed the substrate out. Also, when I got him his dorsal fin was basically half-gone; looked like someone had taken a bite out of him but it could also have been rot (he may have never recovered?)

Sorry for the poor image quality, hopefully you can see the shape of the two slits in his tail. Can anyone tell what happened, or give me some tips on distinguishing between the two? What's my best course of action here?
Attached Images

godtiermagikarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:25 PM   #2 
godtiermagikarp

I've been looking closer at him and he's got some smaller chunks of his fins missing in quite a few places. Also it looks almost as though there are tiny perforation marks on the edges of his fins. This leaves be to believe it's fin rot. Should I get some Aquarium Salt for him?
Old 08-24-2013, 02:55 PM   #3 
LittleBlueFishlets

I can't see much in the photo that you posted, do you mean those two U-shaped areas at the end of his caudal (tail) fin?

To differentiate between fin rot and tail biting:
Fin rot - look for dark, discolored or "smudged" edges.
Tail biting - look for U-shaped chunks missing, with no discoloration.

Most cases of fin rot can be cleared up with just lots of clean, warm water and good nutrition. Keep the water temp in the 77-82F range, and feed him quality protein-based foods. Monitor for signs of infection. If it's healing up, you'll start to see areas of clear or white growth.

If it's tailbiting, you can try to determine if something is bothering him. It could be anything: stress, boredom, something in his diet or environment, or the weight of his fins. (For example, I have a betta who will tailbite if he doesn't have complete darkness at night. Every now and then, he decides his fins have grown long enough, and he simply rips them off. Yes, I have a betta who gives himself haircuts.....)
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 03:40 PM   #4 
godtiermagikarp

Hmm, I don't see much discoloration so it must be tail biting or just a tear from the fake rock. I haven't seen any new damage so I think he's ok now. Thanks!