Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-26-2009, 02:05 PM   #1 
BennysMom

Unhappy New mom

Hi,
I just adopted a Betta fish from my neighbors. They were moving and didn't know what they were going to do with their Betta. Being an animal lover, I decided to adopt him. I did my research online as I have never owned a fish before. I re-named him Benny, and Benny came with his own aqua-bubble aquarium. The kind you hang on the wall. I believe this is best for me as an owner of 3 cats. The cats haven't even noticed Benny since being brought into the house (which is a good thing). Well Benny I'm told is about one year old. But since I got him all he seems to do is sleep, either hanging out at the top of the tank or at the bottom. He seems kind of lethargic. I did a 75% change in his water as I don't know the last time his previous owners did this. The plastic plant in the tank had some black spots on them (which I washed) I cleaned everything really well, and put Benny back in the tank. He seemed to swim around a bit then went back to sleep.
Since I have never owned a fish before, I'm just worried. I thought they were supposed to be more active than this.
I don't have a heater, but live in California and it's warm here year round, so the tank water should be fine, not too cold.
Benny has gravel in the tank a plastic plant and I just put in a bulb for a real plant to grow. He only eats a few pellets a day and I have just bought some freeze dried bloodworms which he seemed to enjoy but only ate 2.
I'm just worried there's something wrong with him...any suggestions from anyone out there that may be wrong with him..
Thank you
BennysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 02:17 PM   #2 
3bangdoos

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennysMom View Post
Hi,
I just adopted a Betta fish from my neighbors. They were moving and didn't know what they were going to do with their Betta. Being an animal lover, I decided to adopt him. I did my research online as I have never owned a fish before. I re-named him Benny, and Benny came with his own aqua-bubble aquarium. The kind you hang on the wall. I believe this is best for me as an owner of 3 cats. The cats haven't even noticed Benny since being brought into the house (which is a good thing). Well Benny I'm told is about one year old. But since I got him all he seems to do is sleep, either hanging out at the top of the tank or at the bottom. He seems kind of lethargic. I did a 75% change in his water as I don't know the last time his previous owners did this. The plastic plant in the tank had some black spots on them (which I washed) I cleaned everything really well, and put Benny back in the tank. He seemed to swim around a bit then went back to sleep.
Since I have never owned a fish before, I'm just worried. I thought they were supposed to be more active than this.
I don't have a heater, but live in California and it's warm here year round, so the tank water should be fine, not too cold.
Benny has gravel in the tank a plastic plant and I just put in a bulb for a real plant to grow. He only eats a few pellets a day and I have just bought some freeze dried bloodworms which he seemed to enjoy but only ate 2.
I'm just worried there's something wrong with him...any suggestions from anyone out there that may be wrong with him..
Thank you
Lethargic betta may possibly be due to a drop in temp. Was the water treated before you did the change? Suggest you keep an immersible thermometer, cos you wouldn't want drastic fluctuations. If the plant has black spots, it possible could be fungus and i would have it removed. give him time to adjust to his new surroundings and he should be good!
All the best!
3bangdoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 02:49 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

It could be water quality too. How big is the aquarium? A gallon or less needs to be changed 2 times a week. Also, are you using water conditioner?
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 02:50 PM   #4 
Vikki81207

The type of tank could be doing it. It's not even big enough to be considered a tank. He may need more room.
Vikki81207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 03:21 PM   #5 
AngelicScars

I've seen those things, they are entirely too small for any fish. I would recommend getting him at least 2 gallons if you can. The water needs to stay a steady 78-80 degrees F. If there are fluctuations, it can cause problems. Also, are you treating the water? You should get a conditioner if you don't have one already. I like Prime.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 05:23 PM   #6 
BennysMom

Smile doing better

Yes I did treat the water before I put back in the tank. Cleaned everything really well. He seems to be doing better today, swimming more. I think it was just the change in environment and the water changes (as I don't know the last time his previous owners did it)
I'll keep you updated. Thanks for all the posts.
BennysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 05:51 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm glad to hear that Benny's doing better. In such a small container, maintaining water quality is very important.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
help with new owner