Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-23-2013, 02:07 AM   #1 
blufish425

Lesson of the day

Tonight my boy scared the crap out of me when he all the sudden went stiff and floated to the bottom of his tank. I thought for sure he had died. He hasn't been ill, but he has been acting kind of weird today.

After some very panicked tapping on the side he finally got up and swam away. I immediately tested the water, and sure enough, his ammonia was at .2 ppm,more than it should be considering I did a 50% water change and gravel vac just last night! I do 3 water changes per week, and he lives in a 3 gallon tank. This just goes to show how important thorough cleaning is. I must not have been getting all the stuff out of the rocks the last few cleanings.

All of my fish will be getting upgrades to either 5 or 10 gallons with filters, just in case. I thought the 3 gallons would be easy to care for because they are small, I have since learned its quite the opposite. Thank goodness my boy is ok, and I was paying enough attention to notice something was off!
blufish425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:59 AM   #2 
Sena Hansler

Small is definitely not easier :p A 1 gallon bowl is harder to maintain than a 10 gallon cycled tank - mainly because of the absolute need for water changes.

Good that you decided to test the water, instead of just "brushing it off" so to speak. I noticed by boy all clamped up, and I realized it's because he was too close to his neighboring betta, and it stressed him. Currently he is on salt to get rid of the two spots of ich.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote