Okay, cut to the chase. I just won a Betta from my high school's grad night. It was completely unexpected but right now, I'm almost as excited as I've ever been!
The day I got him, I brought him home and went straight out to get supplies. I bought a basic Betta kit and a cheapo thermometer. But now, after reading what veryone online is saying, I'm really worried wether it's enough or not.
I'm scared to even go to sleep because I really don't wanna wake up to find him dead. I want him to last and be with me as long as possible! Please help me!
For starters, the kit came with a tank, fake plant, gravel, and some food. I'm not sure the exact size but I would believe the tank to be around over a gallon. Now for some tank questions:
1. Is the tank big enough? I plan to buy a bigger one eventually, but for now will he be okay for a little while
2. The food, how often should I give him variety, and of what?
Now for temperature questions:
1. The people who gave me him gave me a sheet of paper from petco, they and it said nothing about a heater. Is it really necassary? I just found him lying on the bottom of the tank, should I rush out and get one!?
2. My thermometer is pretty cheap. It sticks to the side of the tank and highlights with the general area where it is. Recently it is highlighted in 71 through 78, but occassionally I will dab my finger in the tank and it always feels to cold. Is my thermometer gonna be okay or should I go for better?
Now for stuff about him:
1 Usually I see him swimming around playfully during the day but slowing down at night. Is this a good sign?
2. What sort of luxaries should I buy for him?
3. How neccassary is a light?
4. Is there any way to play with your betta?
Please help me soon! I really love my little Umi-kun and I want him to live as long as possible! My sister had one that only lasted about two weeks and I'm not sure what she did wrong! Also, if anyone can give me good word of a cheap heater at petco, please tell me!