betta fish

Old 08-31-2013, 11:29 AM   #31 
Ilikebutterflies

Updates?
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:11 PM   #32 
Croz711

Updates. haha
So, the wrapping was an unusually quick process...It took under ten minutes for them to wrap up which shocked me based on what I had read. It took around an hour for the male to chase the female out of the nesting area.
Later last night, I started the BBS hatchery so that in a few days the fry will have more then just infusoria to feed on.
Woke up and took the male out because I was afraid he would eat the eggs. There are around 60-100 fertilized eggs (I checked with a mirror). The pair are now in a divided tank that is warm and has some aquarium salt to repair their fins (even though they didn't bite much).
I also picked up two sponge filters, control valves, and hornswort: 1. for the 10 gallon grow out 2. for the 5 gallon home depot bucket they are in right now
This is to aid with the nitrogen cycle.
The eggs have not hatched yet, so now it's a waiting game!
Anyone have comments, critiques, advice? I'll be sure to keep you updated! :)
I do not know how to post pictures on this site yet (But that doesnt matter because I have any good ones yet)
Hope everyone has a great day!
Croz711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:39 PM   #33 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croz711 View Post
Updates. haha
So, the wrapping was an unusually quick process...It took under ten minutes for them to wrap up which shocked me based on what I had read. It took around an hour for the male to chase the female out of the nesting area.
Usually it's many wrappings over time, was she huddled in a corner when you removed her? I've had them spawn anywhere from an hour to 6 hours.

Later last night, I started the BBS hatchery so that in a few days the fry will have more then just infusoria to feed on.
BBS should be started 24 hours before first feeding.. you still have days to go before they are to be fed BBS.. by that time the BBS will be dead or not nutritious - start the morning before you are going to feed them. Not a whole lot of infusoria in the tank unless you had set up green water weeks in advance. Keep that in mind there may be only a day or two worth of food in there with the infusoria. Also will depend on how many live plants are in there, and how long the light has been on in the tank.

Woke up and took the male out because I was afraid he would eat the eggs.
Let the male stay in there, he keeps them clean of fungus.. it is scary, but you are going to have to let him do his thing unless he proves to be an egg eater.. lets hope they hatch, as it's guaranteed to lose a good number of eggs without the dad, especially if you don't have the tank set up for artificially hatching.

There are around 60-100 fertilized eggs (I checked with a mirror). The pair are now in a divided tank that is warm and has some aquarium salt to repair their fins (even though they didn't bite much).
I also picked up two sponge filters, control valves, and hornswort: 1. for the 10 gallon grow out
You will need more than a 10g grow out - especially if you think you have that many eggs.. you will need a 30g minimum, or multiple 20L gallons.

2. for the 5 gallon home depot bucket they are in right now
This is to aid with the nitrogen cycle.
The eggs have not hatched yet, so now it's a waiting game!
Anyone have comments, critiques, advice? I'll be sure to keep you updated! :)
I do not know how to post pictures on this site yet (But that doesnt matter because I have any good ones yet)
Hope everyone has a great day!
To post pictures, select "advance" on the bottom next to reply.. in the new type box there will be a paper clip next to the smiley face.. the paper clip is the link to open up the box to select your pictures off your computer - select 'choose file' and then upload once you found your picture. You won't be able to see the pictures on your post, and the box will stay up until you click the x to get out.. once you submit your post your picture will show up on the bottom of the post :)

Good luck!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:20 PM   #34 
Croz711

WOw! thank you! I'm working on purchasing a 55g tank/stand right now! so hopefully that will be a big help..I have other fish that will be able to eat the BBS..and can I put the male back in after taking him out?
I currently have two 10g tanks, two 5 gal buckets, and multiple jars/plastic containers... but still only two sponge filters...I can easily get a couple 20g, but I want the 55!~~~ Thank you again for all the feedback :) Hopefully all goes well
Old 08-31-2013, 01:46 PM   #35 
Croz711

Here are some pics :)
Attached Images

Old 08-31-2013, 01:50 PM   #36 
Croz711

top breeding pair
'
Second is a possible grow out tank and bbs hatchery

next is my african cichlid where my bettas are going to reside after getting a bigger tank. to the right is one of the spawning tanks where my cambodian and red are

The next tank is where the fertilized eggs are... It's shallow on purpose so that I can drip water in progressively for the first few weeks until the fry are big enough to transfer to a bigger tank

Comments critiques, advice? :)
Old 08-31-2013, 04:30 PM   #37 
Croz711

Update: I put my male back in the tank and he ate all the eggs >:(
Old 08-31-2013, 04:45 PM   #38 
Ilikebutterflies

Awww poo!
Well, it may be because you took him out and put him back in. Condition him again for a week and give it another shot. If he eats the eggs again get a different male. Now, the eggs may not have been any good either. They know which ones are bad.

It's up to you but water changes on a 55g are gonna suck. 20 gallon wide is the way to go IMHO. I have a 55g but that's for the females, one giant HMPK male divided off and leftover juvie females that don't have new homes yet BUT I don't have to do daily or at least 3x weekly water changes on that either.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:50 PM   #39 
Croz711

I think it was just because he didnt recognize that they were his own eggs..there are still some at the bottom of the tank, and my other pair actually laid a few eggs which was a surprise, but only like 10 haha.... I'm quarantining them all right now... The 55 gallon tank is gonna be 75% with a filter and stand (i couldnt pass it up).. and I will put my flower horn cichlid in there so he can get nice and big :) Ill give it another week and try again... but it will be easier now that I know how to do it!
Old 08-31-2013, 04:52 PM   #40 
Croz711

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilikebutterflies View Post

It's up to you but water changes on a 55g are gonna suck. 20 gallon wide is the way to go IMHO. I have a 55g but that's for the females, one giant HMPK male divided off and leftover juvie females that don't have new homes yet BUT I don't have to do daily or at least 3x weekly water changes on that either.
and really?!? 3x a week? :(