Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-27-2009, 07:16 PM   #1 
TaraHanon

Question Algae Eater...

I just bought a golden algae eater to put in with my betta... The betta is flaring and chasing it around the tank. Will he eat the algae eater or just chase it around for awhile?

Thanks...
TaraHanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 09:41 PM   #2 
Starbright

I just bought an algae eater as well (actually 2 of them). My betta does flare at them occasionally and chase them around but my algae eaters are faster ;D Hopefully he doesn't actually nip them.

I think it also depends on the tank size. How big is your tank? Did you just plop in your algae eaters? How did you get them acclimated? What type do you have? (Oto, cory, pleco...)
Starbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 09:48 PM   #3 
aunt kymmie
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraHanon View Post
I just bought a golden algae eater to put in with my betta... The betta is flaring and chasing it around the tank. Will he eat the algae eater or just chase it around for awhile?

Thanks...
If you've got a golden agae eater I think it's trouble. Not sure on the size of your tank but a GAE will grow large (up to 7") and become extremely aggressive & grumpy. I'd never pair one with a betta. Actually, I'd never keep one. Their reputation just isn't worth it and my preference is a peaceful community tank. Maybe you can do a little googling on these bad boys. Any chance you can return him? If it was me (and it's not) that's what I'd do.
aunt kymmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 09:52 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

I agree with Kymmie.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 10:41 PM   #5 
TaraHanon

I have a 3 gallon right now. The lady at the pet store said he should be fine with the bettas they had bettas in the tank with it at the store. He is really small right now and when he gets bigger we can trade him in for a smaller one.
When I got him, I left the betta in the tank and put the algae eaters bag in there to float so he could used to the water and each other. Betta flared and then never bother until I actually put the algae in the tank with out the bag. Now they play chase. My betta isn't nipping at him, just chasing him around so far. It is kind of funny to watch. The betta is bigger than the algae.

I guess I will just see what happens with him over night. They didn't have any of those ugly dark spotted ones! Hahaha... well they did put he was friggin huge!

My only choices where the great big one, the golden one or a Chinese algae eater.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:47 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

Never listen to petstore employees. Most of the time they don't know what they are talking about.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 10:51 PM   #7 
TaraHanon

That's true in most cases, though this place is very reputable.

Is the algae eater going to kill my betta or vise versa? If its not going to cause harm to either one, I don't think I am going to worry. If something does happen to one of them, I guess I'll know and I'll have to replace one or both of them.

Any suggestions on what type to get? I don't like the spotted ones, theyh are ugly! But whatever will help.
Thanks.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:08 PM   #8 
AngelicScars

If this algae eater gets that large, then you should return it now. I think it's wrong to keep it until it gets too large.
Otos and cories are a better choice. They stay smaller.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 11:35 PM   #9 
TaraHanon

He's only an inch long maybe an inch and a half.

My pet store options are limited unless I drive two hours each way to get to one.
Old 06-28-2009, 06:12 PM   #10 
LiyahsGrandma

Wow I didn't know algae eater get so large.
LiyahsGrandma is offline   Reply With Quote