Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-24-2013, 01:49 AM   #1 
Surrealobster

Question I have NO idea what kind of betta I have.

Hi! So, first time posting here, and I have a question for all of you regarding my betta, Leebob. What IS he? I mean, I know he's a betta and all, but the color pattern is alien to me. I've been looking on line for hours now, and all I've been able to find out is that that he may or may not be classified as "Cambodian".

I hadn't had a betta in years, but I recently got a new one from Petco. Now, I would have much rather gotten one from a breeder, but this fish really stood out. He had some MAJOR personality, and an interesting look about him. Not only was he the only fish there that was noticeably alive (morbid, I know, but petco isn't always so great with their fish), but he looked fantastic. Leebob, as I would later call him, has dark, rich, rose petal colored fins, and a cream/flesh colored body. I did some research and discovered that this is known as a "Cambodian" color pattern. Odd thing is, there's something about Leebob that doesn't quite fit any description of a cambodian I've read (Or any other betta I've had, for that matter), and that is the blueish green Iridescence on his body. It's extremely noticeable when he's out of direct light, and I find it quite interesting to see, given the "pinkness" of him. Not that I've seen a ton of bettas in my time, but I've never seen this before. Not with any of my past fish, not with any of the other fish at Petco (including the one almost identical to him.), this is just bizarre to me. It's very possible that this is a common thing, and I'm just out of the loop, but I can't find any info on it, and I'd really like some help. Is he a cambodian? Is he in some way special, or is he just regular old Leebob?

Oh, and he's awesome, by the way. He has a very... Sassy way of telling me he doesn't like pellets.
Surrealobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 03:39 AM   #2 
Asira

Congrats on your new betta
Sounds like cambodian to me, cambodian isn't just a pattern that always looks the same, it just means 'light/flesh colored body'. Many of them indeed have iridescence covering their body.
Here's a fish I bred, Bender. Does Leebob's colorpattern look a little like this?

Do you have pics of Leebob? Could you maybe take a picture of him?
Asira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:42 AM   #3 
Seki

I had a crowntail who looks like what you're describing. Never could quite get a handle on his color haha. In some lights he looked like this...

And in other lights he looked like this...

Is that at all what your guy looks like? (Sorry for the poor photo quality lol my camera at the time sucked majorly)
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:27 PM   #4 
Surrealobster

@Seki The is EXACTLY what he looks like! Thank you!
Surrealobster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, cambodian, help please, iridescence