Betta Fish Forum banner

Zeus' new home!

2K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  ashleyALE 
#1 ·
Yesterday I bought a 5.5 gallon, marineland penguin 100 filter, marineland stealth 50 visi-therm, gravel, cleaned and set it up. Today I bought 2 more anubias nana and some brazilian pennywort.

This evening I added Zeus and he seems incredibly happy! He loves the current. He will do 15 or 20 minutes in it, then take a nap under a leaf, then go back to the current. I had to add a deflector on the filter outlet and add some sponge to the inlet. He was getting blown around the tank at first.

The tank:

Zeus loving the new digs!

I am not going to cycle the tank, since he is already in it. I will do weekly 100% water changes. After about 4-5 months the bio wheel on the filter will be cycled regardless of the full water changes. At tha point I will probably add 3 cories or 6 cherry shrimp. Yes it's overstocked, but I'll be on top of it, and it will be densly planted by then

See less See more
#6 ·
It looks awesome!!

#9 ·
Thanks for the kind words everyone. Plant's vary on the light requirements from 1.5-5 watts per gallon, some also require CO2 infusion. the plants I have can all thrive in low light, I have 7.3 watt's per gallon because the tank is small, so the plants should do very well. Noting i have requires CO2 either. Adding Co2 you really need to keep an eye on water hardness, which I do not feel like dealing with.

#8 ·
aw he looks so happy :) he also looks a little like my Akiyo <3

#15 ·
Thank you. It is an olympus 500uz 6 mega pixel. nothing too fancy, but takes decent pics.

There are also a few tricks to getting good fish and tank shots.

1) turn off all lights but tank light.

2) for whole tank shots use a tripod and a timer. (better dslr's do not need this, mine is just a regular digicam)

3) for fish shots, get close to glass and angle at least 30 degrees down away form the tank light

#14 ·
Awesome :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.