Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-27-2009, 10:20 PM   #1 
WDW Donna

Question Best set-up for new fish?

Hi, I have been browsing the forums the last few days and have a question of my own.
My daughter was the winner of her grade one class pet on the last day of school. Mr Bubbles is a pretty blue betta and seems healthy and happy enough. (He has made it this far in a classroom since January) He is just in a regular fish bowl but I would like to get a small tank for him. As much as I would like to give him a nice big 10gallon home we just don't have the room. Is a 1.5g tank OK? Will I need a heater? filter? I live in Southern Ontario and while the summer is nice and hot the winters are cool and the room he will be kept in is on the top floor and not always the warmest, not freezing or anything but can get a little cool until the afternoon sun warms it up. (he won't be kept in the sun)
He is on a combonation of flake and pellet food (Wardley Essentials Betta food to be exact) I was reading about bloodworms, are they a treat? The class was only feeding him once a day. Is that enough!
Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I don't have a belly-up betta in a week or so.

Thanks
Donna
WDW Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 10:28 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to FshForum. A 1.5 gallon will be fine as long as you keep up with water changes. I'd say once or twice a week. A heater will be needed but a filter isn't necessary. A combination of pellets and flakes are fine. I feed mine Wardleys and Hikari betta bio gold. I also feed BettaMin flakes, Once a week, on different days they get freeze dried bloodworms, daphnia and brine shrimp.Most people feed their bettas twice a day, 2-3 pellets a day.Hope this helps.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 10:30 PM   #3 
MrVampire181

A bigger tank would be better since they can be heated.

Once daily feedings are fine (well at least for me).

You'll need a heater and a filter is optional (though you'll have to be VERY religious about water changes).
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 10:32 PM   #4 
WDW Donna

It does help, thank you. I was reading on another post about bloodworms and brine shrimp being given as a treat on weekends. Is that in addition to the regular food or instead of?

Also, do I do a 100% change of the water every week. Remember Mr. Bubbles is in a small fishbowl at the moment.

Last edited by WDW Donna; 06-27-2009 at 10:44 PM.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:03 PM   #5 
AngelicScars

You should probably fast him at least once a week to let his digestive system rest too.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 08:24 AM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

I feed mine twice a day and I'll feed bloodworms, brine shrimp or daphnia in the mornings instead of pellets.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:30 PM   #7 
WDW Donna

I was looking at heaters and tank sizes today to help decide what size I can put in the space available. I am not sure I can go to a 5gallon size. Can I still put a heater into a 2 or 3 gallon tank? I found one that was I think 25watts. All it said on it was "up to 5 gallons" It didn't specify the smallest it could go into. The lady at the pet store said I didn't need a heater for a tank smaller than a 5g. I probably don't for the summer, but the room Mr.Bubbles is in tends to get cool in the winter.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:44 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

You can put a heater in a tank 2 to 5 gallons. The mini heaters are made for small tanks.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:59 PM   #9 
WDW Donna

wonderful, thanks.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:13 AM   #10 
Cody

http://www.fishforum.com/betta-fish-...are-faq-20058/
Cody is offline   Reply With Quote