Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-23-2013, 09:59 PM   #1 
meesh11p

Unhappy Hungry, popeye'd betta...

Housing
What size is your tank? Usually 1.5 gals, but his quarantined tank is only 1 gal
What temperature is your tank? Not sure...
Does your tank have a filter? We did before, but he seemed to hate it
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No, but we have an overhead chandalier that keeps the water warmer than without a heater at least :\
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 4x a day when not sick

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? None

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
I havent v_v

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Right eye is popeye'd, very minor discoloration on his tail
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He swims near the top, in corners, and the bottom. He's not very active and seems tired all the time. :(
When did you start noticing the symptoms? A few days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Yes, I bought Maracyn 2 and have been treating him with it for 2 days
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? Not sure, we've had him for about 2 years and 7 months

Hi, we've had our little Betta fish for nearly 3 years now, and unfortunately he developed popeye in his right eye because of poor water conditions. I feel terrible, and was uneducated about betta's and what can happen to them. We didn't necessarily want a fish, but he was an experiment for my sister's science class years ago, and he lived so we kept him. He wasn't eating properly for a few days and thought he was just being moody and didnt want food while in his tank (Stupid, I know.) After leaving him in unclean water for too long we noticed the popeye and immediately moved him to an alternate tank with completely clean water. We've started giving him the proper doses of Maracyn 2 for 2 days and I cant really tell if it has done much unfortunately. I'm apprehensive to add anything else because I fear he'll get even more stressed than he already is. The main problem is that he is having a really hard time eating, he didn't eat for a few days while in the toxic tank and after moving him into the new one he has been at least -trying- to eat. We managed to get him to eat one pellet this morning and it was a lucky grab because he repeatedly is missing his food. His vision is impaired in his right eye because of the popeye and swims around the edges with his right eye to the side of the tank. We're trying really hard to feed him, sitting there for hours at a time trying to push the food infront of him, and near his eye so he can see it but he just keeps missing the food. We can only put so much food in the tank a day because we fear it will spoil the tank very quickly. I've tried hand feeding him with both foods but he gets scared and swims away. He's clearly hungry and keeps biting at nothing, but there seems to be only so much we can do... we've tried bloodworms as well because they're much larger than pellets, but his aim is just so off. He's been eating improperly for awhile now and he seems weak, biting at the surface where there's no food. I don't know what to do, I'm very sad and it is very hard to feed him... :( At this point im more worried about him eating than anything, if we can get him to eat I think he'll be okay, hopefully. I dont how we can get him to eat properly, at the worst Im hoping he'll be able to see better by the 5th day of Maracyn so he can eat again.... please, please help me! He's only eaten like one pellet for a week or more!

Last edited by meesh11p; 08-23-2013 at 10:08 PM.
meesh11p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:43 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

First off...don't be so hard on yourself...IMO you have done a great job for the nearly 3 years in your care and that IMO says loads.....Anyway, I only use/recommend natural/holistic treatments-Once you complete the OTC meds and if he is not better-I would try Epsom salt 3tsp/gal (Not aquarium salt) and tannins(either IAL or Oak leaves)-along with partial water changes in QT-I can give you more detailed instruction if needed.

For food-if you have access to live mosquito larva-collect some of these-give them a rinse and feed all he can eat. The more natural live food usually will stimulate the feeding response too and get them eating-IMO/E you can't overfeed mosquito larva-this boost of protein can also help the immune response.

Good luck
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 02:42 PM   #3 
LittleBlueFishlets

The Epsom salt that OFL recommended should help the popeye, and if you can get that resolved, he might be able to see better again....

There are a few ways to add Epsom salt to the tank. Here's one. It starts out bringing him up to a dosage of approx 1 teaspoon Epsom salt per gal on the first day, then takes it up to 3 teaspoons per gallon over the course of several days.
  1. Add 3 teaspoons Epsom salt to one gal of conditioned water.
  2. Stir/shake until the Epsom salt is completely dissolved.
  3. Using this premixed treatment water, make 25% water changes every 15 min for 1 hour today.
  4. Tomorrow, do a 50% water change using this premixed treatment water.
  5. Then, every other day for 10-14 days, do a 50% water change using this premixed treatment water.
Epsom salt is inexpensive, and you can get it at supermarkets and grocery stores. Look for 100% magnesium sulfate. (No dyes, perfumes or additives.) Since it doesn't contain sodium, it won't stress his kidneys (like aquarium salt does). Look for 100% magnesium sulfate. (No dyes, additives or perfumes.)

Also, feed small meals of high-quality high-protein foods. If you can get mosquito larvae, as OFL described, that would be ideal!
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:27 PM   #4 
meesh11p

Thank you guys very much for responding. He's still fighting, and managed to get him to eat another pellet today. It's the third day of Maracyn and his eye seems to be getting slightly better.... I will definitely try Epsom salt if the Maracyn doses don't work, so thanks for the recommendation. Unfortunately I really don't have access to live larvae at all though. :( Also, could you be more specific about tannins? I'm not really sure what those are and a google search didn't really help much s:
meesh11p is offline   Reply With Quote