Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-28-2009, 09:44 AM   #1 
babs711

Crud. Is my heater or is my thermometer broken??

I changed Luke's water around 10:30 am yesterday. The thermometer was have is the kind that stands up in the tank and has a rubber bottom. After I rinsed it it kind of fell over but it didn't break. I did have to check it for a break because it fell kind of hard on the counter (granite).

Our heater is the 25 watt programmable adjustable PetCo heater. We've had it for a little over two weeks and I keep it to where the temp stays arond 80-81 degrees.

Before we left to go to dinner last night, the temp was correct in his tank. I remember looking.

This morning I get up and feed him and notice that it's around 75 in his tank and the light on the heater isn't on. It's NEVER dropped below 80...ever. So I take the heater out thinking maybe I hit the knob on it when I was cleaning it yesterday or maybe it's broken and turn it up. The water doesn't feel any colder. It feels the same. I turn the knob slightly warmer and put it back in and the light lights up. The heater seems fine.

Then I get nervous that the thermometer might have issues. What if when I turn it up it ends up getting to be like 86 or something in there??

What would be your plan of action? I should go buy another thermometer and see what it says, right?
babs711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 09:55 AM   #2 
fishyinpa

Yup,get another thermometer. If that says the same,its your heater. But if it feels the same as before,probably your thermometer. I have broken a couple of those lol.
fishyinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 05:10 PM   #3 
babs711

Well I'm mad. I got a second thermometer and it read the same as the first. I ended up having to turn the PetCo heater all the way up and it only got the tank to 78. I'm not a happy camper...we've had it only two weeks. Of course I don't have the box or receipt anymore I'm sure.

I went out and got the Marineland 25 watt one and just put that one in.

Do you think Petco will take this piece of junk back with no box? Two weeks is ridiculous!!!
babs711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 05:15 PM   #4 
fishyinpa

Hmm. I dunno. They might. Try calling them. Most places wont without receipt or box. Marineland is a very good brand of heater btw. I have those for all of my tanks,no problems.
fishyinpa is offline   Reply With Quote