Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-18-2013, 03:05 PM   #1 
Thelittlemermaid

Red face working on a sorority!!!

I'm kind of a newbie with bettas, but I have two females right now. aiming for five at some point ^_^. There's Saya, my red veiltail, and Diva, my blue crowntail... Saya's the tough one and constantly tries to kill Diva, so I added in a barrier a month ago. they're in a 10-gallon tank, so I don't know if there's room for five, so maybe just three fish? anyway, What breeds do you guys reccomend? I wanted to get a tetra or something, but I feel like Saya would kill it in under a day...
Thelittlemermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 03:35 PM   #2 
Elephant ear fanatic

Actually have a sorority you need at least 4 bettas in a 10 gal but 5 is the best and there is no fish you can add to take the place of a Betta exhaust they need to set up a pecking order you can't use 2 girls that's like putting 2 males together so you don't want to do that just wait till you have all of your females and make sure you have a lot of hiding places and a lot of plants (fake or real) and they can establish territory between each other
Elephant ear fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 03:36 PM   #3 
Elephant ear fanatic

Because* I meant
Old 08-19-2013, 12:09 AM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

I think 5 would be ok in a 10 gallon but someone with experience could tell you better than me. There needs to be plenty of plants and hiding places for your girls. That I do know. lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:26 AM   #5 
Elephant ear fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
I think 5 would be ok in a 10 gallon but someone with experience could tell you better than me. There needs to be plenty of plants and hiding places for your girls. That I do know. lol
You are completely right :)
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-19-2013, 12:49 AM   #6 
Seki

I have eight in my ten gallon and they get along swimmingly (see what I did there? hahaha it's 2 am pardon my bad puns). Plant it heavily. No, I take that back... make it a JUNGLE. That's how to have a successful sorority... make sure the water parameters are perfect and make sure there is so much plant cover and so many hiding spots, all the girls can feel safe and stake out territories. But yeah, a sorority is fine in a ten gallon. Five girls is a nice starting number, but the more you have, the more aggression will be spread out. Eight is my max number, I think, although I have heard of people having up to ten in a ten gallon.
Seki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:16 AM   #7 
Elephant ear fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seki View Post
I have eight in my ten gallon and they get along swimmingly (see what I did there? hahaha it's 2 am pardon my bad puns). Plant it heavily. No, I take that back... make it a JUNGLE. That's how to have a successful sorority... make sure the water parameters are perfect and make sure there is so much plant cover and so many hiding spots, all the girls can feel safe and stake out territories. But yeah, a sorority is fine in a ten gallon. Five girls is a nice starting number, but the more you have, the more aggression will be spread out. Eight is my max number, I think, although I have heard of people having up to ten in a ten gallon.
8 is over crowded you can have 8 in a 20 gallon because ammonia levels would be high and the rule is 2.5 gallon per Betta that's why they say 5 for a 10 gallon in the first place and there is not enough space in a 10 gallon for 8 bettas it makes it harder for the girls to find territory because of such little space which leads to big fights and even if they stay in there with echo their they tear each other up bad :(
Old 08-19-2013, 01:18 AM   #8 
Seki

Eight is not overcrowded, I assure you. My sorority is just fine.
Seki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:52 AM   #9 
Elephant ear fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seki View Post
Eight is not overcrowded, I assure you. My sorority is just fine.
8 fish in a 10 gallon is over crowded especially if they are over 1 inch , but not.trying to be rude or mean I promise. The rule for even regular fish is inch per gallon Betta fish grow over 2 inches which is why they need 2.5 gallons per Betta fish and 10 gallons is too little of a space for 8 girls to find territory it's only good for 5 bettas thy can easily find the space they want due to the fact that they don't have a lot of girls trying to take every place in the tank which will prolong fighting, which takes a toll on the bettas finnage, Which can lead to stress and death, and sickness can break out and then all of the girls will be sick, and if things get too bad you could lose a whole sorority :(
Old 08-19-2013, 11:24 AM   #10 
LebronTheBetta

Yep, it's not overcrowding at all if there's plants to suck up all the ammonia IMO.

As long as the girls still have a some to swim in, perfectly fine. :D They won't have equal territory, the girls will be girls... There are always the low ranks in the hierarchy. @-@ The gallon per inch rule is outdated... That's like saying putting a 2 inch goldfish in a 2 gallon bowl. :s

Good luck with your sorority, Mermaid!
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote