Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-24-2013, 11:03 AM   #1 
dragonscalecrowntail02

Unhappy Lars is side swimming with open gills :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGdiflF8rPc

This video will be a lot more helpful than me typing everything out. He has been this way for a few days. I brought him home last night and started him on his medicine. He has open gills and swimming on his side. He has survived the night!

Help me help Lars!
dragonscalecrowntail02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:23 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

The video was nice and helped some, however, it didn't give me the info I need to tell you why he is symptomatic-but Epsom salt and tannins is what i use for buoyancy issue-
What I understand-you just got this guy and he is having buoyancy problems-I couldn't tell by the video-if he is having problems swimming to the top or staying on the bottom-staying on his side, head up tail down or tail up head down...etc....Gills are sticking out with rapid breathing correct-has he eaten or tried to eat-showing any interest in food and/or responding to you when you approach the tank.

I only use natural methods to treat or holistic approach of sorts.

I don't use or recommend OTC medications and so you may want to wait on someone that can advise.

For a natural/holistic treatment-
Stop the OTC meds-Then Qt in sometimes small (like the cup he came in)that can be floated in the heated tank (temp 76-77F)-cover the small QT with plastic veggie wrap to retain heat/humidity for the labyrinth organ

Premix some treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-Add Epsom salt 3tsp/gal (Not aquarium salt) Add tannins-either IAL (1large crushed/gal) or naturally dried and fallen from the tree Oak leaves (20 crushed/gal) Let this steep for at least 30min to allow the tannin to start leaching and salt dissolve. Shake well before use.

Using this premixed treatment water-make 25% water change every 15min for 1h today.

Tomorrow-using the premixed treatment water start 50% water changes every other day for 14 days.

The premixed Tx water in the 1gal jug- should look darker every day as the tannin leach-the darker the water the better.

He need to stay in the small covered QT in the treatment water for the duration of the treatment period.

Nutrition-good quality varied diet fed in small frequent meals-If you have access to live mosquito larva feed several rinsed 3-4 times a day-The protein will help the immune response.

Depending on why he is having buoyancy issue-he may or may not be able to swim properly and might need to stay in low dose Epson salt and tannins.

The Epsom salt will help with buoyancy and edema and the tannin have antibacterial/fungal properties, help ease stress and several other things. You have to support the Betta immune response and keep stress levels low so he can fight/take care of the problem himself.

Good luck
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 04:53 PM   #3 
Jennikatz

Do you think he's got swim bloat? I had a goldfish once that had it and I fed him frozen peas- thawed and deshelled and cut up into tiny pieces. If you try to do that, I'd try a smaller environment. Mine was fixed up in a couple of days.

Course with the gill issue, I'm not sure. Good luck! Let us know how he turns out!!
Jennikatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:15 PM   #4 
dragonscalecrowntail02

He has trouble swimming to the bottom. He never has swam to the bottom of his cup or this tank. Where can I buy the Tannin?
Old 08-24-2013, 10:16 PM   #5 
dragonscalecrowntail02

He also is not interested in food, is not breathing heavy and does not respond to me coming towards the tank.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:44 PM   #6 
LittleBlueFishlets

Tannins are what gives tea its tan/brown color. They have some antimicrobial properties and help acidify the water slightly. The tannins that OFL mentioned are Indian Almond Leaves (IAL), which may be ordered online (try Amy on eBay), or dried Oak Leaves, which many of us have growing in our neighborhoods. (Although since it's summer, you may need to search a little to find this.) If all else fails, some people on this forum said they've used decaffeinated green tea successfully.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to watch the video as I'm not on my regular computer. Therefore, I don't have a lot of information about what's going on, so I can't tell you much else. But if he's having difficulty swimming, then Epsom salt, per OFL's directions, is the way to go.

At this point, I wouldn't worry about him not eating. Lots of fish won't eat for a few days when they arrive in their new homes. Keep offering him a pellet (if that's what you're feeding him). If he doesn't eat it, remove it and try again later.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:09 AM   #7 
dragonscalecrowntail02

Thank you, Little Blue! I will find some tea leaves and or oak leaves tomorrow for him.