Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-27-2013, 07:00 PM   #1 
Blue Fish

how to QT new plants, treat them with anything?

I may just be missing it...but I've looked high and low, and I can't seem to find the thread with this information.

I've recently purchased several plants from Petco...because they carried wisteria, which I love, and I can *never* find at my really good LFS which has plants I trust to be "clean". The thing with Petco is that their plants have fish in them...and they pour the old betta water in there as well. All well and good to fertilize the plants...but they're also now contaminated with Heaven only knows what in terms of bacteria and possibly parasites.

I've got a strictly planted 10 g tank set up with an airstone and a heater for the QT duration, and I put in plain tap water. It's been about two weeks now, and there haven't been any random bugs or snails...but I worry about microscopic stuff that could hurt my boys.

Is there a way to "treat" plants for these things without killing them?
I thought at one point that Potassium Permanganate was recommended...but I can't find the thread, and I can't remember for sure.

Also, if PPM is the best option, where do you find it? Does it need to be ordered from a chemist?

Thanks for any help! :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:11 PM   #2 
Stone

PP will work I do believe it's whats jungles clear water is just add it to a gallon of water till its a light pinkish purple and let the plants soak in it for 20 minutes or so, or you can use hydrogen perxoide and mix it down with water and do a dip, with the PP make sure to rinse the plants in water with 5x the normal amount of prime or your favorite conditioner
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:15 PM   #3 
Blue Fish

Okay, the hydrogen peroxide will be easier since I've got that on-hand. For the dip, just dip in and go, like a few seconds and then let it dry, or hold it in there for a period of time? Also, just one dip, or should I do a few over a period of time?

And, one more question, do I need to use extra conditioner with the peroxide, or am I good to just rinse? I was thinking that the peroxide evaporated fairly quickly...so I'm thinking that just a plain thorough rinse would work...but asking just to make sure. :)

Thanks for the information!!
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote