Racoon293

Fish suddenly ill.. Please help!!

Housing
What size is your tank? 5.5gallons
What temperature is your tank? 79deg.F
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?
none
Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? omega one
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 pellets morning and 2 evening. freeze dried bloodworms once a week

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? aprox. 60%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? prime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:n/a
pH:7.8
Hardness:n/a
Alkalinity:n/a

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?pale grey belly and face
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? stays at bottom, clamped tail, sinks down from surface
When did you start noticing the symptoms? this morning
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? 60% water change
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? 1yr.
this is the first time my fish has been sick. she was fine last night. her regular weekly water change was Thursday, I did another 60% this morning when I noticed she was ill. she did have 2 freeze dried bloodworms last night, but shes never had problems with those. theres a picture of her in my album,its the first pic and its upside down.
Racoon293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 03:04 PM   #2 
LittleBlueFishlets

Is she bloated? I'm viewing your upside down photo, and it kind of looks like her abdomen is extended.

When was the last time she pooped? What did it look like?

If she is bloated or constipated, you can try adding a low dosage of Epsom salt. Start with about 0.5 teaspoons per gallon, and see if that helps. (This would be a total of about 2.5 teaspoons in your 5 gal tank.) If it doesn't, increase it to 1 teaspoon per gallon. (A total of about 5 teaspoons in your tank.)

Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) has a laxative and fluid reducing effect (in both people and fish). I would give it a try before doing anything else to see if it resolves the problem.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 03:13 PM   #3 
Racoon293

She's always been big, but she may be a little bigger today, hard to tell. Not sure when she pooped last. There was poo in the bucket Thursday when I did the regular water change. It looked reddish brown and squiggly shaped. She is struggling to get to the surface. Is that a symptom of bloat, constipation? I do have Epsom salt on hand. What's the procedure for adding the Epsom salt. I know it's got to be pre dissolved but do I got to add it in slow? How often do I do water changes with the salt in there?
Old 08-24-2013, 03:28 PM   #4 
LittleBlueFishlets

OK, since she's struggling to get to the surface, I would go ahead and use a higher dosage of Epsom salt than I recommended previously. Here's one way to add the correct amount:
  1. Add 3 teaspoons Epsom salt to one gal of conditioned water.
  2. Stir/shake until the Epsom salt is completely dissolved.
  3. Using this premixed treatment water, make 25% water changes every 15 min for 1 hour today. (This will bring her up to a dosage of about 1 teaspoon/gal today.)
  4. Tomorrow, do a 50% water change using this premixed treatment water.
  5. Then, if needed, you can do a 50% water change using this premixed treatment water. Continue this for about 10-14 days, if needed.
Epsom salt is inexpensive, and you can get it at supermarkets and grocery stores. Look for 100% magnesium sulfate. (No dyes, perfumes or additives.) Since it doesn't contain sodium, it won't stress his kidneys (like aquarium salt does). Look for 100% magnesium sulfate. (No dyes, additives or perfumes.)

It may take a few days for the Epsom salt to work.

Also, feed small meals of high-quality high-protein foods. If you can get mosquito larvae, that would be ideal. I usually just rinse them off with a bit of tank water, and use a turkey baster to drop them (one at a time) into the tank.

Since she's having trouble swimming, you can lower the water level for her.

Also, you might want to cover the top of the tank with plastic vegetable (Saran) wrap. This will increase humidity levels, and make it easier to breathe. Be sure to leave several inches of air between the water and wrap, so she can breathe!

Keeping her in a dim or darkened area may help also. Darkness has a calming effect on them. You can wrap the back and sides of her tank with a towel if she's not in a room that is easily darkened.

Adding a tannin source can help as well. Indian Almond Leaves or dried oak leaves are the most common sources of these. However, some people on this forum has used decaffeinated green tea. (I've never tried this, as I have easy access to oak leaves.)

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 08-24-2013 at 03:31 PM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 03:45 PM   #5 
Racoon293

10-4. I lowered the water level. I'll go mix up some salt now. Thanks LBF. I'll see how it goes.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:55 AM   #6 
Racoon293

She passed sometime during the night.