Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-24-2013, 05:25 PM   #1 
sarahlouisemc

please help sever fin rot

My poor beautiful veil tail Jack Daniels has what I think is severe fin rot.
I have treated him with esha 2000 multiple times and at the moment am treating him with a betta form of an antibiotic too. I have given him a break between treatment and also treated him with betta salt. but his tail is nearly half gone and is only deteriorating I need help please before his tail is completely gone. I don't know if it is fin rot now because I have treated him for it so much with no improvement he is in a 2 gallon tank with a heater and filter I treat the water and test is regularly. I feed him very little flakes either everyday or every second day and bloodworms once a week. I have been mainly feeding him bloodworms every second day now as he is sick. I have attached pictures the first three in the very pink tank are of him healthy and long tail and the other two with the murky water (due to the medicine) are of him now. Please help!!
Attached Images

sarahlouisemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:14 PM   #2 
darkangel

Your betta doesn't have finrot, its tail biting. the egdes are very clean, you can read about tail biting here.

you should really stop treating him, tail biting sometimes it triggered by stress and constant medication is definitely stressful. the best remedy for tail biting is extra water changes to keep this tank free of ammonia and other poisonous wastes and higher temps of 80f-82f.

p.s. there is no such thing as "betta" salt, antibiotics, water, etc. this is just a way a company tricks people into buying there stuff. chances are, any product with the word betta attached to it don't do anything.
darkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:28 PM   #3 
sarahlouisemc

Well the guys in seahorse aquarium gave me the stuff free so thought it was legit. . thanks so much for the quick reply. I have recently moved him into a new bigger tank so he could have a filter so maybe he's stressed from that. so more water changes and higher temp. Anything else I can do?
Old 08-24-2013, 07:40 PM   #4 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahlouisemc View Post
Well the guys in seahorse aquarium gave me the stuff free so thought it was legit. . thanks so much for the quick reply. I have recently moved him into a new bigger tank so he could have a filter so maybe he's stressed from that. so more water changes and higher temp. Anything else I can do?
I would leave him alone and let him regroup. It looks like he's been through a lot when he didn't need any of it. Antibiotics are really hard on the body, and should only be used in cases of severe rot. Please look up severe rot, so you can see what it looks like. I would classify this is mild-moderate.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:52 PM   #5 
sarahlouisemc

Thanks for the advice. I will do a water change and put the carbon back in the filter to get the rest of the meds out. He hasn't had bubble nests in a while so I just put it down to being sick but i'll just have to be more careful of whats wrong before putting meds in I guess, just got so worried. Any tips on making him less stressed?
Old 08-24-2013, 08:25 PM   #6 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahlouisemc View Post
Thanks for the advice. I will do a water change and put the carbon back in the filter to get the rest of the meds out. He hasn't had bubble nests in a while so I just put it down to being sick but i'll just have to be more careful of whats wrong before putting meds in I guess, just got so worried. Any tips on making him less stressed?
You could use some Stress Coat. I use Stress Coat, and Indian Almond Leaves with my biters with a lot of success. I do think you did have a biter and a bit of fin rot (nothing severe, I' say the fin rot is mild, but the biting is moderate). Both of these are therapeutic additives.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote