Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-24-2013, 07:52 PM   #1 
HaleyM

Question Random spreading black pigment?

So I have an 8 Gal Nano Cube for my little guy. Plants, filters, heaters, LEDS, the whole 9 yards. But the very ends of his tail fin is getting a little ripped, even though there is nothing that could catch it? He also has some black pigments....his is a white opalescent fish so it is really noticeable. When I originally got him it was just two barely visible spots and now it has spread to bits of his back fin and pectoral fin. I thought it might be ammonia burn but I did a water test (Extremely accurate, I used it for a salt reef as well as professionally) and there was 0 ammonia. I added an extra bag of carbon just in case. I have also noticed some black fuzzy fungus like stuff growing on my driftwood. I did a salt scrub (soaked them in fresh water after, before adding them back to the tank) and it still came back :(! Could my two issues be related? Even though I have been doing salt reefs professionally for 5 years I am still new to betta and freshwater in general and could use some help,
Thanks!! :)
HaleyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:57 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Its not uncommon for light colored Betta to get dark spots as part of their coloring. Can you post a pic? As for the "fungus" that sounds like black beard algae, you might look that up & see. If it is it can be a pain to get rid of. How long are the tank lights on each day? I've found that only having my lights on 8 hrs a day keeps algae at bay. If you have black beard algae (BBA) you can spot treat with peroxide or excel flourish (depending on your plants). When I had it I soaked the plant in peroxide for about 5 minutes & lessened my light time.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:13 PM   #3 
HaleyM

Shoot I think it is black beard algae. But I have only had this fish for about two-three weeks, and it hasn't really started to spread until this last week or so. Could coloring really come in that fast? Also is there something that you would recommend to help heal his fraying fins? I tried to take some pictures but he just got really excited that I was close to the tank and wouldn't stay still long enough to get a good shot.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:24 PM   #4 
shellieca
Reference Team

LOL that's pretty typical of Betta. You can try to video or cup him. But in answer to your question, yes they can color up that quickly when they're kept in the right environment. As for his fraying fins make sure there's nothing in his tank he's getting them snagged on or that they're not getting sucked into the filter intake. You can run pantyhose or something similar over the decorations, if the hose snags so will his fins. Unless you see fin rot or something other than fraying I wouldn't do anything except keep the water clean, warm & conditioned & they should grow back. There's also the possibility he could be tail biting but without seeing him I can't say for certain.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:43 PM   #5 
HaleyM

He does try to lean on the overflow intake. It doesn't have much suction with the way I set it up. I also turned the pump to its lowest setting. Even when I have turned the pump/filter off and he still tries to lean on it...obviously on purpose. And seems disappointed when he gets no sucking result. Trust me, the first time he did this I FLIPPED out thinking he was dead. The second he saw me come close to the tank he peeled himself off with little effort to see if I would feed him. I then set it up so the flow in the tank is only at the edges (kind of a U shaped) thinking he was stressed from swimming against current. So he has the majority of the tank with little to no flow. He still does it. It could just be a strange fish habit...I once had a foxface (saltwater) who would go up to the top in the corner, gulp in air, and expel bubbels through his gills. I though he would surely die with such a strange...addiction...but the weirdo is still going strong years later.

Last edited by HaleyM; 08-24-2013 at 09:45 PM.

Tags
black, black patches, black spots, torn