Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-29-2013, 01:30 PM   #11 
sunlight

Thank you so much for all your time and patience with me!!!
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:07 PM   #12 
LittleBlueFishlets

OrangeAugust - how's your fish doing? Any better?
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:22 AM   #13 
OrangeAugust

It's too soon to tell. I was finally able to get the Epsom salt yesterday, and I put him a rectangular 2 gallon tank filled halfway. So I put a tsp. of Epsom salt in there yesterday. So today I do a 75% water change and put another teaspoon in?
I'm such an idiot, though- I forgot to put a heater in his hospital tank! I realized it this morning and the water was only 72. I feel bad about it. He has a mini heater in there now.
Anyway, I'm attaching a picture of how he sits on the bottom all the time. He looks so sad. :(
Attached Images

OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:02 PM   #14 
OrangeAugust

How long should it be before I see an improvement. It's been 3 days and he's still the same. It also looks like he has a lump on his right side. What could it be?
Old 09-01-2013, 10:28 PM   #15 
LittleBlueFishlets

Can you get a photo showing the lump?
What dosage of Epsom salt are you using now?
And what's the water temperature?

It can take a couple of days for the Epsom salt to have a laxative/fluid reducing effect. Overall, would you say he's the same, better or worse?
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:20 AM   #16 
OrangeAugust

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueFishlets View Post
Can you get a photo showing the lump?
What dosage of Epsom salt are you using now?
And what's the water temperature?

It can take a couple of days for the Epsom salt to have a laxative/fluid reducing effect. Overall, would you say he's the same, better or worse?
I'll post a photo tomorrow that shows the lump better. The first day I did 1/2 tsp/gallon (I thought I was using the 1tsp spoon. lol). Then the next day I did a 75% water change and added another 1/2 tsp of Epsom salt. Today I changed almost all if the water again and added 1tsp. of Epsom salt. He kind of seems worse today. He was breathing heavy earlier, and the edges of his fins are starting to look weird. I doubt it's fin rot because I've changed his water every day since I moved him to the hospital tank.
Oh, and I'm using one of those mini heaters without an adjustable thermostat so it fluctuates depending on the room temp but right now it's 82 degrees.
Help! I hate to see him looking so sick.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:16 PM   #17 
OrangeAugust

Here's a pic of the lump on his side. It's kind of discolored, too.
I don't think he's getting better. It seems like he's getting worse. He's in a rectangular 2 gallon tank filled only halfway. He only comes up for one pellet now. It seems really hard to get to the surface and it's only a couple inches of water. He comes up as fast as he can, and grabs one pellet before sinking back down. Is it something else other than swim bladder? Besides his trouble swimming because he always sinks, He doesn't have any other symptoms besides that weird lump.
He looks so sad. :(
Attached Images

Old 09-03-2013, 09:35 PM   #18 
blufish425

Oh poor baby :( Since this has been going on so long I'm going to guess that some sort of bacterial infection is the culprit here. He definitely has swim bladder related issues, but those can be caused by many things.

SBD can be caused by Constipation (which would have likely resolved itself by now), Injury or Birth Defect (which you would have noticed right away when you purchased your betta), Internal Parasites( your betta would likely be exhibiting other symptoms of this one), or Bacterial Infection.

What do you have on hand (or can get easily) medication wise? Epsom salt will only help SBD if it is constipation related, at this point it is my opinion that you need to start treating differently.

Last edited by blufish425; 09-03-2013 at 09:37 PM.
blufish425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:41 PM   #19 
blufish425

Also, the red edges on his fins actually are an indication of "Fin Rot" but fin rot is not always caused by dirty water, it can also be a bacterial problem.
blufish425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:57 PM   #20 
OrangeAugust

Ok, what do you suggest as a treatment?

Tags
swim bladder, swim bladder disease