Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-03-2013, 10:12 PM   #21 
blufish425

Do you have any sort of antibiotic? Like Maracyn 2 or Kanaplex?
blufish425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:13 PM   #22 
LittleBlueFishlets

Do you have Kanaplex?

It's one of the few antibiotics that can treat a wide range of internal bacterial infections, along with external infections.

Unfortunately, Kanaplex can't be purchased at places like Petsmart/Petco. You can get it online though.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:29 PM   #23 
OrangeAugust

I don't have either but I will try Maracyn 2 first since it's easier to find.
How could he have gotten a bacterial infection?
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:36 PM   #24 
blufish425

Kanaplex is actually the best for these things, I would order it either way and if you want you could use Maracyn 2 while you wait for it, but its really one of the BEST things you could have on hand.

Bacteria lives, breeds, and thrives in any warm moist place, so a heated fish tank is like bacteria's paradise.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:29 PM   #25 
LittleBlueFishlets

I wouldn't bother with the Maracyn 2. It will only treat external issues. It's also harsh on the internal organs (kidneys and liver). IMO, it won't help his issues.

Instead, I would try either API General Cure or Tetra Parasite Guard. They both contains metronidazole and praziquantel. These are effective against internal parasites, which may be causing the lump.

If the API General Cure or Tetra Parasite Guard don't help, then I would try Kanaplex.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:42 PM   #26 
blufish425

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueFishlets View Post
I wouldn't bother with the Maracyn 2. It will only treat external issues. It's also harsh on the internal organs (kidneys and liver). IMO, it won't help his issues.

Instead, I would try either API General Cure or Tetra Parasite Guard. They both contains metronidazole and praziquantel. These are effective against internal parasites, which may be causing the lump.

If the API General Cure or Tetra Parasite Guard don't help, then I would try Kanaplex.
Maracyn 2 is supposed to work against internal bacterial infections, that is how it is marketed, but I agree with LittleBlueFishlets it is too harsh on their kidneys/liver. I still think its more likely that its bacterial not parasitic. Kanaplex is still your best option imho. If you want you could also use a parasite medication at the same time, or while you are waiting for the Kanaplex to arrive.

Last edited by blufish425; 09-03-2013 at 11:45 PM.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:16 AM   #27 
LittleBlueFishlets

Are the red edges on his fins his normal coloration? Or is that something new? If it's new, when did it start?
Old 09-04-2013, 06:06 AM   #28 
OrangeAugust

It's new and it started 2 days ago.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:29 PM   #29 
LittleBlueFishlets

Poor little guy....

IMO, the best option is: Kanaplex and either (API General Cure or Tetra Parasite Guard).

If you can't get the Kanaplex, then use your Maracyn 2 and combine with either (API General Cure or Tetra Parasite Guard).

Kanaplex and Maracyn 2 are antibiotics. API General Cure and Tetra Parasite Guard are antiparasiticals that also can have some action against anaerobic internal bacteria.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:31 PM   #30 
blufish425

+1 to LittleBlueFishlets, I agree this is your best course of action.

Tags
swim bladder, swim bladder disease