Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-04-2013, 07:04 PM   #31 
OrangeAugust

Petco had a crappy selection. The only Maracyn they had was Maracyn Oxy. what's the difference between that and Maracyn 2? Also they didn't have either of those other two, but I got something called Tetra Lifeguard and it is supposed to treat bacterial, fungal, viral, and parasitic problems in fish... I will look for Kanaplex online also.

I was also upset that their bettas were in really bad shape, There were some dead ones, some sitting on the bottom not moving, some just floating around with clamped fins... and there was one who looked so skinny it looked like it hasn't eaten in weeks. really sad.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:18 PM   #32 
blufish425

Lifeguard is ok, I have used it with success before. I don't think it's going to get rid of whatever is causing that lump, but you never know. Use it for a day or two and if you don't see immediate improvement order the Kanaplex.
blufish425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:18 PM   #33 
LittleBlueFishlets

I really wish that Mardel would vary the names more.

Maracyn: contains minocycline, a gram negative antibiotic.

Maracyn 2: contains erithromycin, a gram positive antibiotic.

Maracyn Plus: contains two broad spectrum sulfa drugs: Sulfadimidine and Trimethoprim. This is an excellent medication, but don't use it if you're allergic to sulfa drugs.

Maracyn Oxy: contains stabilized chlorine dioxide, which is an oxidizer, and acts as a disinfectant.

Tetra Lifeguard: contains 1-chloro-2,2,5,5-tetramethyl-4-imidazolidinone. (Say that three times fast. ) This is also an oxidizer that acts as a disinfectant.

Did they have Maracyn Plus? That would be another good option, if they don't have Maracyn 2.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:30 PM   #34 
OrangeAugust

Thanks for the info, LittleBlueFishlets. I might return the Maracyn since I also got the Lifeguard one.

Guys, I just remembered something. I don't know if this could be the cause of what's going on now, but a couple of months ago, I was doing a water change and I got a phone call so I took the vacuum out, but I guess it fell back in and started siphoning again because I came back about 20 minutes later and there was no water left and my betta was lying on the gravel. I freaked out, filled a cup with water, then I had to pick him up by the tail and put him in the cup of water while I filled the tank again. I felt awful but he seemed ok. But this problem he's been having has been going on for a while. It came on very slowly, though, so I didn't worry about it until 2 weeks ago when it got really bad really fast. But anyway, now I'm wondering if him being out of water for ~20 minutes could have started all this??
Old 09-17-2013, 01:51 PM   #35 
OrangeAugust

Hello again.
My betta isn't any better. I gave him the Lifeguard stuff for 5 days and it didn't help at all. I got Kanaplex and gave him 2 doses so far (the bottle says every other day), and there's still no improvement. When should I start seeing results on the Kanaplex?
Old 09-17-2013, 02:26 PM   #36 
blufish425

I used kanaplex for about 2 weeks before I saw a large improvement
blufish425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:47 PM   #37 
OrangeAugust

Ok, thanks!
Did you see my question before that- about if this could have been caused by him being out of the water for 20 minutes one time?
Old 10-24-2013, 07:36 AM   #38 
equonce

Oh so you can use Maracyn Two and Parasite Guard at the same time???
equonce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
swim bladder, swim bladder disease