Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-30-2009, 12:32 AM   #1 
UmiKun

New to fish care, got some questions!

Yo!
Okay, cut to the chase. I just won a Betta from my high school's grad night. It was completely unexpected but right now, I'm almost as excited as I've ever been! The day I got him, I brought him home and went straight out to get supplies. I bought a basic Betta kit and a cheapo thermometer. But now, after reading what veryone online is saying, I'm really worried wether it's enough or not. I'm scared to even go to sleep because I really don't wanna wake up to find him dead. I want him to last and be with me as long as possible! Please help me!

For starters, the kit came with a tank, fake plant, gravel, and some food. I'm not sure the exact size but I would believe the tank to be around over a gallon. Now for some tank questions:

1. Is the tank big enough? I plan to buy a bigger one eventually, but for now will he be okay for a little while?

2. The food, how often should I give him variety, and of what?

Now for temperature questions:

1. The people who gave me him gave me a sheet of paper from petco, they and it said nothing about a heater. Is it really necassary? I just found him lying on the bottom of the tank, should I rush out and get one!?

2. My thermometer is pretty cheap. It sticks to the side of the tank and highlights with the general area where it is. Recently it is highlighted in 71 through 78, but occassionally I will dab my finger in the tank and it always feels to cold. Is my thermometer gonna be okay or should I go for better?

Now for stuff about him:

1 Usually I see him swimming around playfully during the day but slowing down at night. Is this a good sign?

2. What sort of luxaries should I buy for him?

3. How neccassary is a light?

4. Is there any way to play with your betta?

Please help me soon! I really love my little Umi-kun and I want him to live as long as possible! My sister had one that only lasted about two weeks and I'm not sure what she did wrong! Also, if anyone can give me good word of a cheap heater at petco, please tell me!

HELP!
UmiKun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 12:47 AM   #2 
dr2b

I think this tank will be ok until you get a larger tank. The tank temperature should be a constant 78-80 degrees. Some people need heaters because their homes are cooler, others don't because of where they live. I have a thermometer that sits in the tank. I used to have one that stuck to the outside of the tank years and years ago... and I really never liked them. I am more comfortable knowing my thermometer is as close to accurate as I can get it (but that's just me).

I feed my betta 2 times a day, and 2-3 pellets of Hikari bio-gold each time. Bettas will act like they are hungry all the time - don't let him fool you! They will eat themselves to death. Most people feed their bettas freezedried bloodworms or freezedried brine shrimp (or something to this effect) as a "treat" or snack once a week or so. I personally don't right now because my betta is picky and refuses to eat them lol.

I'd get him some plants and maybe a little cave or something to hide in. They like that stuff. To play with your betta, you can put a mirror up to his tank and let him flare. This is good for them because it is "exercise" and it is funny to watch them flaring and acting like they are big stuff. :)

I hope this helps! And welcome to FishForum!
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 07:49 AM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr2b View Post
I think this tank will be ok until you get a larger tank. The tank temperature should be a constant 78-80 degrees. Some people need heaters because their homes are cooler, others don't because of where they live. I have a thermometer that sits in the tank. I used to have one that stuck to the outside of the tank years and years ago... and I really never liked them. I am more comfortable knowing my thermometer is as close to accurate as I can get it (but that's just me).

I feed my betta 2 times a day, and 2-3 pellets of Hikari bio-gold each time. Bettas will act like they are hungry all the time - don't let him fool you! They will eat themselves to death. Most people feed their bettas freezedried bloodworms or freezedried brine shrimp (or something to this effect) as a "treat" or snack once a week or so. I personally don't right now because my betta is picky and refuses to eat them lol.

I'd get him some plants and maybe a little cave or something to hide in. They like that stuff. To play with your betta, you can put a mirror up to his tank and let him flare. This is good for them because it is "exercise" and it is funny to watch them flaring and acting like they are big stuff. :)

I hope this helps! And welcome to FishForum!
Agreed and welcome to FishForum.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, care, questions, urgent