Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-25-2013, 10:57 AM   #1 
Asira

Sorority starting

Hi ,

Right now I have 12 females, 7 are already a group (they are sisters) and 5 are not. The 7 are in a 15 gallon, 1 is in a 5 gallon and the other 4 are in temporary 2 gallons.
I have a 20 gallon I want to use to introduce all of them to each other at once.
And when they are all good with each other, I want to buy a 50 gallon to decorate and make a 'betta heaven' to have them live in that.
But right now... What's the best way to introduce them with each other, a way that has the highest succes rate?

Thanks.
Asira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:21 PM   #2 
betta80888

You to make sure there mellow, and in the future a bigger tank would help them get along.

Last edited by betta80888; 08-25-2013 at 04:29 PM.
betta80888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:26 PM   #3 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

You absolutely do not need an odd number of females (???) and a 20g is fine.

I saw on another thread that you already introduced them. There may be some spats but unless they are getting injured badly don't remove them- they are forming their hierarchy.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:24 AM   #4 
Asira

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
You absolutely do not need an odd number of females (???) and a 20g is fine.

I saw on another thread that you already introduced them. There may be some spats but unless they are getting injured badly don't remove them- they are forming their hierarchy.
I only removed the one that was injuring everyone, and since then no one really cares about anyone, only some flare a little, but that's it. Very peaceful.

What do you mean with the odd number of females?
Old 08-26-2013, 02:14 AM   #5 
Indigo Fish

I think Matt might have meant to post that in this thread: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=254721 and got confused and put it here. Someone there was trying to claim that an odd number of females "works better" but I think that's just a personal preference.

As for your question about how to introduce them all together, I'm afraid I can't be much help because my sorority is much smaller then that and I don't think I'd be comfortable having such a large number of females all in one tank. Perhaps you could just leave the 7 that are already established in the 15 gal and start a new one with the others in the 20?

Last edited by Indigo Fish; 08-26-2013 at 02:15 AM. Reason: spelling
Indigo Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:26 AM   #6 
Asira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Fish View Post
I think Matt might have meant to post that in this thread: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=254721 and got confused and put it here. Someone there was trying to claim that an odd number of females "works better" but I think that's just a personal preference.

As for your question about how to introduce them all together, I'm afraid I can't be much help because my sorority is much smaller then that and I don't think I'd be comfortable having such a large number of females all in one tank. Perhaps you could just leave the 7 that are already established in the 15 gal and start a new one with the others in the 20?
I already did them together in the 20, because of my future plans of getting a 50.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:09 PM   #7 
justmel

I thing about the 50 gallon Asira, you'll have to watch the ladies again when you add them to a larger tank. If the space is large and not many bettas together there is a chance of more fighting. More bettas spread the aggression out, so when you move them to a larger tank you might consider adding a few more girls as well.
justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:20 PM   #8 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

No, I posted in the correct place... The member above me said that you need an odd number of females for it to work but edited it out after I corrected him/her.

When you move them they might re establish the hierarchy, so be mindful of that.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:31 PM   #9 
Skyewillow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
When you move them they might re establish the hierarchy, so be mindful of that.
If they're anything like my girls, they'll rework their pecking order if you so much as move a piece of decor. Silly girls.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:06 PM   #10 
10asartin

I definitely agree with justmel. When it comes to a sorority you have to walk the line between too much space and too little.
An aquarium with a whole lot of water area and not many bettas (like a 50 gallon with 12 girls) could result in the girls becoming unaccustomed to sharing their water space and thus when another girl comes close they are much more likely to fight.
On the other hand, an aquarium with not enough water area and too many bettas (like a 10 gallon holding 20 girls) would not only be a huge bioload mess, but would also overcrowd and overstress everyone also causing more fighting.
As for the introductions I always float all of the new girls in cups inside the main tank for at least 8 hours and then simply release them and monitor their behavior for a few hours.
10asartin is offline   Reply With Quote