Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-25-2013, 12:25 PM   #1 
kjnewcome

First Sorority Questions

I started my first sorority about a week ago. I have 6 girls in a 10g tank.

Everyone seems to be getting along pretty well except for Blossom, they all seem to hate her. :( She does have a chunk out of her tail fin.

Questions:

1. Do you think Blossom will be ok or should I remove her? I haven't noticed any new nipping, they all just seem to chase her around now. The only time the get along with her is at feeding time.

2. Will Blossoms fin heal on it's own or should I add some aquarium salt or something to the tank?

3. They are in a 10g tank, what is the max. # of girls I can have?

4. Can I had a few (3) Spotted Cory Cats to the tank? Thought that would help keep things cleaner. Not sure with 6 girls and it only being a 10g if there would be room. If 3 cory cats wouldn't work, what would you suggest?

THANK YOU!
kjnewcome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:30 PM   #2 
madyjane

1. jut wait a week and if things don't calm down try taking them all out rearrange the tank and put them all back in starting with blossom and if that doesn't help separate her
2. it will heal on its own

max id ten but nine is better because odd numbers just seem to work better but if you get three cory cats you reached your max on the tank
madyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:49 PM   #3 
Indigo Fish

1 - Blossom should be alright. It's just the girls sorting out their ranks in the tank. One nipped fin isn't bad but keep an eye on her. If she seems to keep getting ganged up on or especially if she starts getting hurt worse she might be better off on her own.

2 - Again, one nip isn't bad and she'll be fine.

3 - In a 10 gal tank with artificial plants I think you're good at 6, and personally wouldn't add anything more. If you want to add more you should honestly look into setting them up with live plants to help improve the water quality and reduce their stress

4 - Corys may "clean" the tank but they also add to the ammonia build up. They won't reduce the amount of water changes. If you really want something to clean the tank you might want to look into a snail if your girls are already really aggressive but again, think about the water quality and how often you want to be doing water changes

These are just my personal opinions. I'm setting up a sorority in a 10 gall as well but I have been working on heavily planting it and don't plan to do more then what you already have
Indigo Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:00 PM   #4 
kjnewcome

Thanks! I appreciate your help. I think I'll hold off on more girls or corys until I'm able to upgrade my tank.

I'd love to do live plants but I wouldn't even know where to start. :(
Old 08-25-2013, 08:24 PM   #5 
Indigo Fish

Check around the forms here, there's some good stuff in the plants/habitats section. There's also another site you can check out http://www.plantedtank.net/ that is entirely about planted aquariums, especially low tech setups. Take some time to do some research about what plants will do better in the same water/light conditions and if they need CO2 supplementation. It takes some work and planning/money to set up but after my first I'm hooked on them
Indigo Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:23 PM   #6 
kjnewcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Fish View Post
Check around the forms here, there's some good stuff in the plants/habitats section. There's also another site you can check out http://www.plantedtank.net/ that is entirely about planted aquariums, especially low tech setups. Take some time to do some research about what plants will do better in the same water/light conditions and if they need CO2 supplementation. It takes some work and planning/money to set up but after my first I'm hooked on them
Thank you!