Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-30-2009, 02:51 PM   #1 
Joerin

New Betta owner, lots of ?'s

Hi,

My daughter came home with the class betta fish last Thursday that the teacher raffled off. I have learned a lot reading post here in the past few days, but still could use some advice. The fish is in a 1 gallon mini-bow tank with pump. He seemed okay for the first couple of days, though he still hasn't really eaten much. Over the weekend he seemed to be getting lethargic, and after some research here, checked the water temp which was only 72 degrees. Yesterday we bought a hydor mini heater, which is really for a 2.5 gallon tank, but the temp seems to stay between 78-82, so I figure thats okay. After the water warmed up yesterday, he seemed more lively. Today the water looks cloudy, and he's hanging around in the corner by the heater, ALL DAY. I'm figuring he is due for a water change by now, and from what I read here it should be 100%, correct? I also bought water conditioner tablets, are they okay to use? Does the water need to sit out any length of time before I do the change? Also, should the pump be on all day? Right now I have only been putting it on for various 1/2 hour intervals. Any advice/answers would be greatly appreciated. It is amazing how attached the family has become to this little Betta in such a short time!! :)
Joerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 02:57 PM   #2 
doggyhog

Congrats on the new Betta and Welcome to the FishForum!

With my two gallon tanks, I do 50% water changes twice a week, and 100% once a week. With such a small tank, I would leave the filter on all day, but maybe turn it off at night. It is normal for Bettas to not eat for the first couple days.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 03:16 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

I would change the water in a 1 gallon tank twice a week. The water doesn't need to sit out before using. It can be put into the tank right away. I don't really know anything about the water conditioner tablets but I can recommend 2 good conditioners, Prime and Aquasafe. Hope this helps and welcome to FishForum.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 03:24 PM   #4 
BBgirl

When it comes to aging the water it depends on who you ask. I have had a betta in a bubble with no filter and no air (other than the opening at the top) used store bought betta water or R/O water and had it do fine until the house got to hot and i think his water did too and he died. I never aged the water just used the r/o water. However, a friend of mine who's mom used to breed tropical fish including Bettas said always age the water for at least 24 hours.

I'm still learning all the water change things myself but I do treat my tap water and mix in some r/o water to help with the ph since our water here is high in a gallon jug and let it age at least 24 hours.

I have a gallon on hand at all times. so this one is well aged at this point.

Congratulations on your new addition.
BBgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 03:32 PM   #5 
MrVampire181

Well a tank that small would need a complete water change once or twice a week.

He should act like that for a while. It's totally normal.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 03:33 PM   #6 
Angelmonster

Do not age your water unless you are in an area that is notoriously bad for some reason. Tap water has trace elements of some metals and minerals that are GOOD for fish! Elements that will evaporate is left stagnant.

With such a small tank I would do water changes every 3 days. With a one gallon bowel changing the water should be VERY easy!

Always use water conditioner when putting new water in! If you do not want to change the tank so much purchase a cheap 5 gallon tank and you can do 50% changes once a week
Angelmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 07:14 PM   #7 
ifish

i think aqua safe is good also its made by nutrafin in you wanted to find it but be warned its very concetrated s be careful
ifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:32 PM   #8 
Belbster66

I have a question! I am about to get a betta from walmart and do not have a lot of money to but a huge tank so i got i think a one gallon one its bigger than the little tiny ones so i'm hoping its ok its a round one and do u suggest i get a heater??
Belbster66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:39 PM   #9 
ifish

yes get a heater but walmart bettas arnt healthy
ifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:46 PM   #10 
Joerin

Thanks everyone for your quick and helpful replies! We did a water change earlier this evening which went very smoothly. I used the "betta buddies" water conditioning tablets from Petco, which a friend recommended. The fish looks more healthy now than he did over the weekend. I guess I can relax now :)
Joerin is offline   Reply With Quote