Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-06-2013, 01:18 AM   #1 
Studiobuddy

Water changes in small planted tank?

Hi There! I am a total newbie to aquariums. I have a small 1.5 gallon tank with about 5 anacharis stems, 3 crypt bunches, and some moss. How often would you do water changes? I hear when they are planted it helps the tank be more balanced, less ammonia. Would 50% once or twice a week be enough?

Thank you :)
Studiobuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:25 AM   #2 
Studiobuddy

Old 09-06-2013, 02:48 AM   #3 
ao
TFK Moderator

Yes :) that should be enough. I would recommend to do 50% twice weekly until you notice major active healthy growth in the plants. after that, a 50% once a week should be sufficient.

There a nice water change guide right here :)

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=115758

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:05 AM   #4 
peachii

That's a really pretty small tank. You've done a great job on it.

Agreed with aokashi.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:39 AM   #5 
Studiobuddy

Thanks so much aokashi, I will do just that. And thanks for the link, I searched but guess I wasn't using the correct terms. That is a really helpful thread!

Thank you peachii! I love how you caught your betta in your avatar pic. so cool!

Oh woops! Now I see it was a sticky in Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories. Dau! ;)

Last edited by Studiobuddy; 09-06-2013 at 03:46 AM.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:07 AM   #6 
Ezzie

Nice tank, good job in a small space!

I have started having a covered bucket with treated water that i have been using to do water changes daily while mine cycles. I usually change out 2-3 cups of water daily or every second day instead of a big one every week which is easier on my buggered back!

Let me know how your anacharis goes! I have about 6 stems in mine and am worried they wont get enough light..
Ezzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:40 PM   #7 
Studiobuddy

That's a great idea Ezzie. Maybe I'll try something like that. I LOVE your white betta, they look like flowers. :)

I have my bucket and tubing all ready to go and I am terrified! I don't know whether to put Marcus in another bowl, while I clean and try to take bad parts off the plants, or leave him in. I am so scared of the suction and him getting harmed, but I am also scared of stressing him out if I put him in something else... He already seems to get stressed easily. I was thinking of putting him in the cup I got him in so put it next to his tank.

I swear to you, He saw it and flew like a bat out of hell to the other side of the tank, and just started swimming around all out of control.. He is so smart. I don't want to traumatize him.

So now I guess,my question is, leave him in the tank while doing a 50% change and pruning the plants and trying to clean some of the gravel, or take him out since the tank is pretty small, (I don't want the suction to get too close to him)??? What do you all do?
Old 09-06-2013, 12:42 PM   #8 
Studiobuddy

Oh btw, Ezzie, I got anacharis and the crypts and moss because I was told they would do fine in low light, my tank only has the little L.E.D. that came with it, and the guy in the aquarium store (where they have the most beautiful fresh water planted tanks) advised me that they would do fine in these conditions. Will let you know. :)
Old 09-06-2013, 02:39 PM   #9 
Laki

My anacharis grew out of control in my betta tanks so I threw some smaller extra scraps in for the shrimp (thinking the stems would die without light).. They're shooting out roots to ground themselves and are as green as ever. The shrimp receive no plant light or natural light really (I live in a basement apt) so the anacharis, IME, will be fine in low light.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote