Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-02-2013, 09:08 AM   #1 
MichelleA

Snails

So what are these snails that hitched a ride on my new plants? There kinda cute but theyre eating my plants. Do you guys just kill them? I dont feel right about that. Are there any benefit to having these tiny little annoying things in my tank? Can I just scoop them all out and put them in their own tank?
MichelleA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:09 AM   #2 
jaysee
Reference Team

What shape is their shell?
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:23 AM   #3 
MichelleA

I think this is what they are http://www.planetinverts.com/pond_snail.html I wish i could post a picture but I cant find my camera anywhere this morning. They are very tiny and i went from seeing one for now seeing like 6 all with shells, theyre in two of my tanks now. They look like the picture but their shells are slightly pointed at the end. Same coloring though.

Last edited by MichelleA; 09-02-2013 at 09:25 AM.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:29 AM   #4 
jaysee
Reference Team

They're either trumpet, pond or ramshorn snails. A little point would indicate pond snails. I know a lot of people simply squish them against the glass when they see them - fish usually will eat them up at that point.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:32 AM   #5 
MichelleA

Ew, thats sad. Is there any benefit to leaving them in there?
Old 09-02-2013, 11:51 AM   #6 
Blue Fish

NOOO! If they're pond snails, get them out, now, before they take over!

I was like you...I though, oh, how cute, tiny little snails, I'll let them live in my tank...until I realized that the things are like gremlins and they propagate every ten seconds. I swear you start with one, and before you know it they've eaten an entire wisteria bunch and there are a thousand of them in there.

As for getting rid of them...they are ferocious little buggers. They even survive salt. I swear at the end of the world there will be twinkies, roaches, and pond snails. ;) You can either fish them out any time you see them (sometimes you can vacumn them up as well), put in a peice of: kale, lettuce, or sliced cucumber and remove them once they're latched onto there, or, and this is what has worked the best for me, buy a couple of assassin snails and let them do your dirty work for you.

They're cute and you feel bad for them at first...then they eat 30$ worth of plants and suddenly you don't feel quite so awful about disposing of them anymore. :(
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:12 PM   #7 
MichelleA

That made me really LOL. Cant i just go dump then into the lake or something?
Old 09-02-2013, 10:43 PM   #8 
gorillakev

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleA View Post
That made me really LOL. Cant i just go dump then into the lake or something?
I personally wouldn't you don't want to introduce anything into a lake that wasn't already there. Even if you know there's pond snails in the lake and what not, you might introduce some diseases also.

You can humanely euthanize them also, I haven't done it but you can do that.

I usually put all my pond snails and ram shorn snails in a bucket outside and put dead clippings in the bucket also. Or I put in a few in one of my tanks that has assassin snails.
gorillakev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:53 PM   #9 
MichelleA

Awe man yeah i guess youre right. I really dont want a bucket of snails though lol I cannot fathom killing them or anything for that matter... Except spiders.... and mosquitos... Well you get the picture. What are these assassin snails? Do they eat them?
Old 09-02-2013, 11:02 PM   #10 
Graceful

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleA View Post
Ew, thats sad. Is there any benefit to leaving them in there?
If you're adverse to crushing them (as am I) you can "hire" some assassin snails to eat them. Over this past month I have had three assassin snails completely remove my ramshorn problem. I had at least two dozen of the little b******s!

(I actually have assassins available for purchase, you can PM me if you'd like.)
Graceful is offline   Reply With Quote