Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-01-2009, 06:14 PM   #1 
Philip The Fish

why did my water turn blue?

i changed all my fish's water today. I put water in Philip and Sylvesters tanks, dropped in the Jungle Aquarium kit tank buddies in and the water turned blue. Everyone else's water is fine but those two turned blue. Does anyone know why? i looked on the package but couldnt find anything about the water turning blue.....
Philip The Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 04:33 PM   #2 
neenjar

never used them, but I would not put a fish in blue water. perfect ph is not something you need to worry about, stability is. fish especially bettas are very adaptable. Those ph additives get expensive and are really not needed. just frequent water changes with treated water. or RO water if you have really bad tap water.
neenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 08:04 PM   #3 
Scienceluvr8

I use the Tank Buddies, and it doesn't do that to my water. Is it entirely blue? Once dropped in the tank, it starts to fizz and you see whisps of blue, but it should go away, that's odd. Are you running your filter?
Scienceluvr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:37 PM   #4 
Vikki81207

Well when you get bettas from Petsmart, they're water is usually blue. Sounds like the type of conditioner or something.
Vikki81207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 09:04 AM   #5 
Philip The Fish

i didnt put my fish in it. I went to the store and got a different brand, the one i usually use. This one that turned my water blue was one i've never used before. And yah the entire tank was blue....i dont want blue water haha.
Philip The Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 10:56 AM   #6 
neenjar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikki81207 View Post
Well when you get bettas from Petsmart, they're water is usually blue. Sounds like the type of conditioner or something.
That is because they use methylene blue in the water, it is a weak anti fungal. An excuse for poor water change cycles.

I do not think tank buddies have any in it, but who knows.
neenjar is offline   Reply With Quote