Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-07-2013, 04:11 PM   #1 
jenjen182

Baby Betta with Vacation Blocks?

Hi!

I'm planning on getting a baby betta from my Petco (which takes very good care of their fish) and I'm not planning a vacation anytime soon, but I'm wondering if they would be ok with vacation blocks. If not, what can I feed them?

ASAP would be great, thanks!
jenjen182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:12 PM   #2 
sainthogan

No, vacation blocks foul up the water very quickly, which can cause nasty toxins that will lead to illness or death. Most fish won't eat them anyway. But some will and will try to eat the whole thing at once, which can cause death. The best thing to feed a baby Betta is live food, but in the absence of that, the next best thing is baby Betta pellets.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:25 PM   #3 
jenjen182

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainthogan View Post
No, vacation blocks foul up the water very quickly, which can cause nasty toxins that will lead to illness or death. Most fish won't eat them anyway. But some will and will try to eat the whole thing at once, which can cause death. The best thing to feed a baby Betta is live food, but in the absence of that, the next best thing is baby Betta pellets.
Thanks, but what about on vacation? I'm not going to be there to feed him/her baby betta pellets.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:27 PM   #4 
sainthogan

Depending on how long you'll be gone, it's better not to feed them. A healthy Betta can go weeks without food and if you don't have someone to keep an eye on your fish, not feeding her is much better than a vacation block. You would hate to come home after a few days to find the vacation feeder has fouled up your water so bad that your baby is sick or dead.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:32 PM   #5 
jenjen182

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainthogan View Post
Depending on how long you'll be gone, it's better not to feed them. A healthy Betta can go weeks without food and if you don't have someone to keep an eye on your fish, not feeding her is much better than a vacation block. You would hate to come home after a few days to find the vacation feeder has fouled up your water so bad that your baby is sick or dead.
Thanks... I'm gonna be gone for like 4-6 days next March, and I imagine the baby would be full adult by then.