Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-27-2013, 06:30 PM   #1 
Chutney

Smile New to bettas

Hi I just joined and I was wondering if I can help on how to care for my Bettas. I have 3 beautiful boys: Bandit, Neptune, and Cosmo. I have them in 1 gallon tanks for now until I can get the money to buy them 2.5 gallon tanks. I give them a variety of food including high quality pellets, dried brine shrimp and bloodworms as a treat, and some betta flakes with plankton and dried brine shrimp as the first ingredients. I keep them on my bookshelf next to each other with dividers between their homes so they cant see each other. I am planning to breed Cosmo or Neptune because Bandit has sadly gotten too old and I don't want to take the risk of deformities in the spine and other problems in fry. This is my first thread so it is long sorry :) I will post pictures soon and I will decide which to breed by vote. leave your vote below for either fish and I will then look for a female that is big enough and has the right colors. Also I know I should get 5 gallon tanks but I cant afford them and my bookshelf is fairly small. Is there anything else I can do to make them happy and live long? Bandit is 2 years old and Neptune and Cosmo are both about 5 months old from what I was told. Thank you!
Chutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:15 PM   #2 
Chutney

If I can get help sorry :)
Old 08-27-2013, 08:25 PM   #3 
IndigoChild311

It sounds like you've got the right idea so far. Make sure once you do get bigger tanks that they're heated and filtered. Can't wait to see your fellows and good luck on breeding them!
IndigoChild311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:36 PM   #4 
Chutney

Thank you so much! Where do you suggest I get my tank? I am low on cash and I don't see any of the right ones at walmart and petco doesn't have anything more than 1 gallon and they say that is ok but I do not approve of the way they treat bettas.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:57 PM   #5 
IndigoChild311

How does Petco not have anything more than a 1 gallon? Surely they have 2.5 gallon ones, I would suggest Petsmart online but shipping might be a bit much. When it comes down to it, all bettas are different, I had two in a divided tank (5 gallons each) and I thought my one betta was going to die because he was so stressed out and didn't eat or anything but LOVE his .5 gallon. And my other betta hates small spaces. As long as the water is good and the betta is healthy and happy it doesn't really matter the size but nothing smaller than 1 gallon (despite my .5)
IndigoChild311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:05 PM   #6 
fawx

If you're new to bettas, I'd advise you to wait a little on breeding. :) I haven't done it, but it's expensive, time consuming, and takes a lotta betta knowledge. I'm sure you'll can it in no time, though.

Keep them happy by keeping them busy. Don't like give them a boring tank, each time you change the water, you could move some decorations around to mix it up for them. :) I do that for my boy, Wrigley, and he just patrols for a while and swims through the new decor! I also have a pet snail which he constantly is starting to harass, but that's besides the point.

These fish are seriously the bomb diggity, I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine. :D
fawx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:53 PM   #7 
Chutney

Thank you for the advice! I am relatively new to having multiple betta fish but I have been keeping them for 5 years. I really miss my boy Aqua :(
Old 08-27-2013, 09:55 PM   #8 
Chutney

I will look at petsmart next time I go. I will look at walmart too.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:55 PM   #9 
Chutney

I am experienced in betta care and how they act. I am familiar with how they breed and helped a friend breed. I know what to do when fry hatch and start free swimming so can I breed, or should I wait?
Old 08-28-2013, 04:34 PM   #10 
redthebetta

I would go ahead if you have everything!
redthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote